iPod Touch 5G Temperature

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Siq®, Oct 14, 2012.

1. macrumors member

Siq®

Hi guys,

people are starting to get their shiny new iPods and I am very curious about a matter that has surfaced with the new iPad.
    To the ones that already got their iPods: How does it behave during heavy gaming sessions? Does it get warm/hot when playing games? (Specially those that require higher GPU/CPU usage)

2. macrumors 6502a

edlex

I do a lot of streaming and it doesn't get hot at all.

3. macrumors newbie

I have the red 32 gb and I play a lot of graphics intense games on it; batman, racing, and a FIFA like game etc. I have noticed no issues with heat..

4. macrumors 6502

Good because almost the same spec-wise iPhone 4S heated up like crazy :)

5. thread starter macrumors member

Siq®

Thank you both :)

That's why I asked ! Let's wait some time and see what other people have to say

6. macrumors 6502a

7. macrumors 6502

Well my iPhone 4S that I just sold got very warm from only running apps, especially Infinity Blade II. Just playing this game alone made my iPhone heated up in 30 seconds from cold to really I mean really hot. The same was when watching some HD videos. Surprisingly it didn't heat up at all when making calls.

8. macrumors newbie

Greetings. I was just browsing when I stumbled on this page while searching for the heat issues regarding the iPod touch 5g. I registered soon enough.

Well getting to the problem. I bought my iPod touch 5g 2 weeks back. Everything was smooth until I started playing high end games like infinity blade and dungeon hunters. The back side started to get really warm and the battery was draining at an alarming rate. So I wonder is this natural? I really don't know much cause this is my first apple product. There is not much drain when I'm surfing through the web but it sure gets a lil warm when I stream videos of the net. Hope for a positive reply. Fingers crossed.

9. macrumors 68000

Thetonyk123

How fast does it drain? 3d games really drain the battery fast so that could be normal.

10. macrumors newbie

It's not about the draining that is worrying me. It gets heated up like crazy. Even the screen. This happens mainly when I play dungeon hunters. Is this normal :/ ?

11. macrumors newbie

Hey that's great. I really iPod Touch features.

12. macrumors 6502a

cobbyco

3D intensive gaming:
    iPod touch 4th gen - very hot on the back and front-top.
    iPod touch 5th gen - basically no difference in temperature to normal usage.

Expect the Black & Slate version to get hotter, especially when left in the sun.

Battery life:
    Same on both devices playing the same 3D games.

13. macrumors 68000

Thetonyk123

My iPod touch 4 doesn't get very hot on 3d gaming. I can notice it getting a little warm but that's expected.

14. macrumors 6502a

cobbyco

Maybe that was just an issue with mine then...

Still the 5th gen is much cooler for that type of usage.

15. macrumors newbie

I have streaming lots of games. but never get hot at all. Its not possible. I didn't hear like this.

16. macrumors newbie

Mine is the blue one and it doesn't get hot with normal usage and normal games which doesn't have that much graphics.
    For eg. I tried playing infinity blade 2 today and the iPod got heated up like crazy.
    Just wanted to know if its normal :(

17. macrumors 68030

Shanghaichica

I have the blue one :( (should have been pink!) I do a lot of web browsing and video streaming and it doesn't get hot. Unlike my galaxy note (rolls eyes).