iPod touch 5th Gen rumors?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by thewitt, Mar 19, 2012.

1. macrumors 68000

thewitt

Anyone believe we will see the next generation iPod touch before Fall?

2. macrumors demi-god

soco

Before Autumn? No. Only because the latest we'll see a new iPhone is Autumn and we won't see both released simultaneously. I'd imagine a July/August release of a new iPhone (notice the name) and September-usual for iPods.

3. macrumors newbie

iPod touch... the future of...

I'd imagine, if there is an iPod touch 5th gen, that the dimensions will be markedly different from what they are now. Seems they'll nudge up the size to something bigger than now but much smaller than an iPad.

4. macrumors regular

With respect to developers, if the screen size of the iPhone 5 is 4", then the iPod Touch 5th gen
    should follow suite, and release a 4" screen too. Developers would want an entry-level model that
    matches the same screen specs as the iPhone 5.

5. macrumors 604

What, so the iPod Touch would be bigger than the iPhone? I don't think so.

6. macrumors regular

Whatever the case, I would like to hear some confirmation on their screen sizes.

But, as a developer, I won't be compelled to buy a 5th gen iPod Touch if the screen
    size doesn't match the iPhone 5.

7. macrumors G4

Chundles

The new, smaller A5 would give it a good boost in processing power. If they can get a better camera in it that would be nice.

Apple don't really need to do much to it, they're not selling many iPods anymore relatively speaking and what they do sell doesn't have much competition.

8. macrumors 6502a

Blackberryroid

I want iPod + 3G.

9. macrumors member

Sadly I don't think that will happen.

10. macrumors 6502a

Blackberryroid

It should and could happen. Besides, it makes sense.

11. macrumors member

Even if it doesn't, there are work arounds in development that make it possible. Look up the Freedom Sleeve in Kickstarter.

12. macrumors 6502

vanzantapple

Great idea but the coverage map is very limited.

13. macrumors 6502

3dflyboy1

Not really, because then it would cut into iPhone sales. The 3G/4G iPad is a different matter because it's a tablet, so the cellular antenna makes sense there. It could happen, but then the iPod would be heavier and thicker due to the extra radio, not to mention the enlarged battery that would be necessary to maintain the battery life it has now (because the cellular radio would eat up a LOT more power than just a wifi radio).

14. macrumors 601

Mr. Retrofire

Nonsense. The iOS needs 3G/4G everywhere:
    iCloud (music, documents, ...), Safari, App Store, Siri, Maps, and so on.

Apple uses IGZO-displays in future iDevices. See also:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=15510442#post15510442

15. macrumors 6502

3dflyboy1

All of those features already function fine without a data plan (except Siri, which is iPhone exclusive at the moment). The new iPad doesn't have Siri (even with a cellular radio), why would the iPod touch?

"Uses?" At this point it's only speculation. At best it's "probably will use." It would be great, though. Especially in the next gen iPad!

16. macrumors 601

Mr. Retrofire

Not in 90 percent of the world, because these features require a WiFi-connection on the current hardware.

One word: Progress. 3G/4G modems (USB connection) cost around 30 US$. Apple needs only the appropriate Qualcomm-chip, not an entire modem. Apples pays probably less than 10 US$ for all 3G/4G network components in one iDevice, such as the iPhone or the next iPod touch.

:) Let us hope.

17. macrumors newbie

Its called iPhone?
    ;)

18. macrumors 601

Mr. Retrofire

iPad + 3G = iPhone with a bigger screen. *lol*

Btw, Apple has a patent for 4G in a future MBP.

Your comment: MBP + 4G = iPhone

;-)

19. macrumors 6502a

Blackberryroid

I guess you're right. Who knows, maybe the iPod touch will be discontinued since the rumored iPad mini has the same price. Unless they're willing to put the price of the iPod touch to $99 (which I highly doubt), I can't see a reason to go for the touch if I could have the bigger and better iPad mini.

Let me rephrase what I said earlier.

I want iPad mini + 3G.

20. macrumors newbie

There is still a market for the iPod Touch!

I love my iPod Touch. I don't want an iPhone because I can't afford the monthly data plans. Also, I can use my iPod Touch all day without worrying about using the phone battery. I use the apps on my iPod Touch daily. I have an armband and play music and use the Nike+GPS to track my exercise. I couldn't do that with an iPad Mini. I connect my iPod to my car radio and bring my tunes everywhere. I suppose I could do that with an iPad Mini, but it would not fit in the console and would get in the way. I couldn't fit an iPad Mini in my pocket, and I would have to have a large purse to carry it. I'd love to have an iPad, and maybe I would like an iPad Mini, but I don't see anything really replacing my iPod Touch. I hope it stays around for a long time.

21. macrumors 6502a

RightMACatU

I don't see myself going to the gym with an iPad Mini strapped to my arm or my waist :D

22. macrumors 6502a

Blackberryroid

The nano is for that. If you think the iPad mini on shoulders look absurd, the iPod/iPhone is too. And let's not forget that Apple is making the iPhone's screen size larger.

23. macrumors newbie

No 3G

The current iPod Touch does not have a 3G+GPS because its battery has much less capacity than iPhone's.

Removing the edge trimm may indicate that Apple is searching for more internal space.

24. macrumors 601

Mr. Retrofire

If they use the new IGZO-display, then the device requires 1/3 of the battery capacity, compared to the non-IGZO-display version. So the battery capacity is probably not the problem.

25. macrumors 68030

sracer

If you are looking to upgrade your iPod Touch, I highly recommend buying an iPhone 4. (please keep reading! ;) ) An iPhone 4 without cell service is basically an "iPod Touch Pro". It can do everything an iPod Touch does, but only better.

There are MANY iPhone 4 devices for sale on places like eBay that are mint/new that won't require a cell service. A CDMA-based iPhone 4 with a bad ESN can (virtually) never be used as a phone, but makes a great iPod Touch. And because they can't be used as a phone, the prices of them are suppressed in comparison to functional iPhones.

There are a few reasons why a phone ends up with a bad ESN. 1) it was reported stolen, 2) it was reported lost (and subsequently found), 3) the owner failed to continue to pay on the contract. Obviously you wouldn't want to encourage theft, but options 2 and 3 are morally acceptable and something to consider.

I own an iPod Touch 4G 64GB. I absolutely love it. I also bought a 3 month old Verizon 32GB iPhone 4 w/bad ESN (non-payment of contract) on eBay from a reputable seller for $240. It makes a terrific iPod... and because the cell radio and GPS are turned off, battery life is insane.

I have previously posted a set of common sense guidelines for buying an iPhone on eBay that will virtually eliminate the possibility of getting ripped off.

I hope that Apple upgrades the iPod Touch this generation, but if they don't and they put it in "steady state", getting an off-contract iPhone 4 makes a pretty nifty upgrade.