iPod Touch (a Touch OS X device)

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Sep 6, 2007.

1. macrumors bot

Apr 12, 2001

As the dust settles from yesterday's announcements, many are looking at the iPod Touch and imagining how far its capabilities can be pushed.

Gizmodo received word that (unsurprisingly) the iPod Touch runs exactly the same applications as the existing iPhone. According to their contact the iPhone and iPod Touch "use the same damn binaries".

This means that existing 3rd party iPhone applications should easily be installable on the iPod Touch. As well, there's no doubt that someone will try to move the iPhone's Mail application to the iPod Touch.

Apple's introduction of the iPod Touch extends their new Touch OS X platform into another iteration. Unfortunately, Apple has yet to officially open this platform up to 3rd party developers. Meanwhile, there have been major strides in unofficial efforts to bring 3rd party applications to the iPhone. Despite all their progress, without official support, users still have to deal with data loss possibilites with each official firmware update.

Article Link
  2. macrumors 68000

Aug 29, 2007
    Developer land
  3. macrumors member

Jan 17, 2007
    no mail?

What a joke, how could it not have Mail? Very lame Apple, very lame!
  4. macrumors regular

Oct 14, 2006
    they need to open both touch devices up to developers asap.
  5. macrumors Penryn

Mar 23, 2005
  6. macrumors 68000

Mar 8, 2007
    Blue Dot, Red State
    they were really rushed to get this sucker out. I'm sure by the 28th there will be a few more apps than were previewed
  7. macrumors 6502a

Jan 12, 2006
    I'm sure that Apple is strategically choosing what to put on the iPod touch. They've got to give people some incentive to step up to the iPhone, and if there are key features which only the iPhone has, they'll go for it.
  8. macrumors newbie

Jun 30, 2007
    I AGREE. Give us the darn SDK. If it's not unveiled during the new OS rollout in Oct, then I don't know man, I just don't know.

Having my iPhone on a plane recently w/out internet is like having a brick w/out games or ANY apps... cmoooon
  9. macrumors 6502

So, who will install a SIP of VoIP client... and attach a microphone?

10. macrumors member

Nov 7, 2006
    Who else thinks that the iPod touch and the iPhone are exactly the same hardware with only a firmware change to disable features? I think its very likely. Its probably cheaper for apple to produce only one version of the hardware rather than redesign the thing. I know video card companies do this all the time. If this is so it leads to the possibility of unlocking the phone capabilities with some software/hardware modifications.
  11. macrumors newbie

Sep 6, 2007
    Calendar feature

Does this mean that the ipod touch will allow you to make entries on the Calendar application on the ipod. And then sync them back to your computer.....?
  12. macrumors 6502

Can anybody tell me: does it work with Cisco VPN connections? Lot's of universities work with this (mine too) to get on the WLAN.
  13. macrumors 68020

May 7, 2003
    Saint Augustine, FL
    Well, I suspect Apple is deliberately leaving Mail off the iPodT (clearly, since it's not there now), leaving the iPod to be more entertainment and the iPhone to be more business.

But, since it has Safari, the standard "web2.0 application" excuse persists, and before long (and possibly already), someone will have a safari-ized webmail client

First time I ever saw a curse word on the homepage of MR.com
  14. macrumors 6502

Apr 7, 2003
    state of confusion.
    Waiting for the 16GB iPhone (Jan?) and then get a 160 GB iPod Classic to couple with it. One for phone/podcasts, etc and one for Most of my DVD/CD collection synced from the lappy.

All for, what? $749? $849?
  15. macrumors 65816

Clive At Five

May 26, 2004
    St. Paul, MN
    At first I was very upset about Mail, but then I realized I use gmail, which I can just get online. Still, it'd be nice to see on the home screen that I have new mail, without having to manually check.

But I do find it ridiculous that Apple left out all the web-apps except Safari. If you can find a hot-spot to browse Safari, you can find a hot-spot to check stock quotes and mail and whatnot.

Nonetheless, I'm confident that 3rd-party installs will then be possible and a Mail client will be installable, etc.

16. macrumors 68020

May 7, 2003
    Saint Augustine, FL
    It's "similar", but i'm sure it's quite different. For one, the iPhone is both thinner and more capacitous. Also, the iPhone obviously has a hardware radio for the cellphone, a microphone, as well as sensors to turn off the display when it's at your ear.

The OS though, is exactly the same, I'm sure.

*shudder* This may be THE reason we're not seeing, and will never see, a SDK for the iPhone platform. If Apple is truly triming apps to avoid iPhone market canibalization, they certainly wouldn't give us the tools to add them back in. :(
  17. macrumors 604

Sep 23, 2003
    You don't think apple might actually be planning on opening it up to third party apps once they're ready for it?

It's not like they haven't been busy you know, finishing these up, shipping them, working the bugs out, not to mention finishing A MAJOR REWRITE OF OSX. Plus, it wouldn't have made sense to release a SDK for the iPhone with the touch only a couple months behind.

People love to overreact, it's not realistic to expect something like third party support to be ready the first day the product ships.
  18. macrumors demi-god

Aug 17, 2007
    Seattle, WA
    I expected hackers/modders would extend the iPod Touch's capabilities, which is why I was surprised Apple instilled so much of the functionality of the iPhone into it.

But hey, more power to them. The more iPhones (after the price cut) and iPod Touchs out there, the more incentive for folks to make cool apps for them.
  19. macrumors member

Jun 28, 2007
    There is no microphone with it like the iPhone. This would be more work than it is worth. If you want an iPhone, just buy one. They are reasonably priced now. The real question is when will they create a CDMA version of the iPhone.
  20. macrumors member

Jun 28, 2007
    I wish someone could answer this for me. If this and the Mail app is added, that would get me to buy one immediately.
  21. macrumors member

Nov 7, 2006
    Are you sure theres no microphone? I dont know I havent looked too closely into it.
  22. macrumors 6502a

Jul 23, 2007
    Mail would be sweet. But as other people are saying here, we can check our mail through safari, but can we use the touch keyboard to create/ respond to that mail? I'm sorry if my question sounds naive or stupid, but I can't figured it out -- may need more coffee.
  23. macrumors 603

Sep 19, 2003
    Canada, eh?
    This certainly better explains the Leopard delay. Back when it was announced that they were pulling people from Leopard to help finish up the iPhone, everyone was upset that Apple was putting so many resources into a product so peripherally related to their core businesses. (Sarcastic cries of "Apple makes computers? I thought all they made was that iPhone thing...") Now it makes more sense, as those developers were obviously not "just" working on the iPhone, but a whole embedded platform for devices. And who knows what else they've got up their sleeves?
  24. macrumors 68000

Oct 8, 2003
    Mail is already developed though (for the iPhone), I see no reason why they wouldn't show it if it was on the iPod Touch.
  25. macrumors 68000

Oct 8, 2003
    There isn't a microphone listed on the specs page. Shame really, because it would be nice for a dictaphone like application if nothing else.