iPod Touch Built-In Speaker

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by HelixOmnimedia, Sep 11, 2007.

1. macrumors 6502a

HelixOmnimedia

Hey,

Still thinking of ordering an iPod Touch but there are so many different little things putting me off. Was looking at the photos on Apples main site, and was wondering why does it iPod Touch have a built-in speaker(s)?
    I read it comes with a stand... cool. no more constantly holding it at the right angle to see the screen, but NO SPEAKERS!! I would have loved it to have speakers so you can put it on the stand and just watch it without being tethered to it with headphone.

Just another little thing putting me off getting one.

2. macrumors member

Design wise, adding in a speaker wouldn't be too difficult considering the iPhone has one. But then we have to remember, the sound quality would probably be abysmal. Plus, this leaves the market open for third party companies to make crappy little speakers. Keeps the third parties happy.

3. macrumors 6502

only reason i think a speaker would be nice is so I can get notifications when I get Mail :)

4. macrumors 6502

Why not just get some little speakers to attach to it, and sit them on either side of the iPod touch when it's on the stand? They'd just plug in to the headphone jack. You'd get much better audio quality than a cheesy built-in speaker could possibly provide.

5. macrumors 65816

master-ceo

The Ipod Touch is a waste of money. No Buit-in speaker?? 8-16gb?? WTF! This is 2008! You better off buying a pocket pc with touchscreen!:cool:

6. macrumors 68000

wakerider017

Troll

7. macrumors 6502a

It doesn't have a speaker (like any iPod), and this is the first I've heard of it having a stand.

8. macrumors demi-god

Zwhaler

Actually, its still 2007...

9. macrumors 6502a

Stang68

It's not a built-in stand. It comes with one. It can be seen on the gallery on apple.com in the picture with Zoolander on the screen.

10. macrumors 6502

What??? And Yes we are in 2007 not in 2008

11. macrumors 65816

12. macrumors 6502

So how do alarms work on the iPod Touch if there is no speaker? It must have the ability to beep like all the other iPods, no?

13. macrumors 6502

Good question. That'd be awesome if it did.

14. macrumors 6502

Never mind, found this in the iPod Touch manual:

Although it says internal speaker, I highly doubt you could play music, videos, sounds from Safari, or YouTube videos from it.

15. macrumors 6502

True, but still, this is great news for those of us who were thinking about/hoping for the ability to hear some sort of audible notification when a new email/IM is recieved (once that functionality is added of course :))

16. macrumors newbie

Of course ...

Of course, Apple took care of that problem for you by not including Mail on the Touch ... :rolleyes:

17. macrumors 6502

Yes, but that doesn't really matter (to me), becaue software can (and will) be added, the hardware required for making an audible beep/click/etc is not something a programmer can add :)

18. macrumors 6502

yeah I think all iPods besides like shuffles have built in speakers that make noises when you navigate and press buttons.

They are not good enough to play music but they can beep ect.