Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pariscarbon

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 16, 2007
My Ipod touch doesn't seem to charge unless plugged in to the computer.

I have bought a USB ipod charging cable that connects to an external USB charging power adaptor. Somehow it refuses to charge even with the original cable.

Anyone has similiar experience or have any insights to my nagging problem?

Thanks in advance

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK

I have bought a USB ipod charging cable that connects to an external USB charging power adaptor. Somehow it refuses to charge even with the original cable.

Anyone has similiar experience or have any insights to my nagging problem?

Thanks in advance

What charger are you using? I charge my touch every night by plugging it into an Apple USB charger and using an old dock cable I had spare

dcv

macrumors G3
May 24, 2005
...an external USB charging power adaptor...

Is it an Apple one or a third party product? Should work fine with any Apple iPod power adapter; you don't have to charge it via a Mac or PC. I use the FireWire cable & power adapter I got with an older iPod to charge mine.

pariscarbon

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 16, 2007
Is it an Apple one or a third party product? Should work fine with any Apple iPod power adapter; you don't have to charge it via a Mac or PC. I use the FireWire cable & power adapter I got with an older iPod to charge mine.

I'm using a 3rd party USB power adaptor. I uses it to charge all my handphones and other devices.

Am i the only one facing this problem?

KerryC

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2007
Sydney, Australia

You need an Apple power adapter, not a third party one. A friend has the 80gb iPod Classic, which won't charge with her 3rd party USB power adapter that works with her 2nd gen nano, so she had to buy an Apple USB power adapter. (another example (along with video cables and docks) that Apple are tightening control over the accessories market.)

Kerry

tennez

macrumors regular
Jan 16, 2007
i bought a third party charter in ebay and it doesn't work with mine touch, so be aware of this problem.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.