iPod Touch Details?

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Aug 23, 2007.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

9to5mac claims to have knowledge of the upcoming full-size iPod which they are refering to as the "iPod Touch".

According to the site, the OS X based iPod will share a similar look to the current iPhone, complete with "home" button and a 480x320 pixel screen. Compared to the iPhone, the outer ridge is said to be black, with a slightly thicker case.

A report from earlier today from Appleinsider does expect up to 4 new iPod models to be introduced in September.

Article Link

2. macrumors newbie

Well it will be very interesting to see what Apple does! But I won't buy any of the new iPods, because i have that iPhone thing....

3. macrumors 68040

Stridder44

Is that screen size the same as the current iPod? If so = lame.

4. macrumors member

Buttons.

I would hope that Apple has enough foresight to include at least a couple extra buttons on the thing. Like the Shuffle. I think the ability to use the device without looking at it is an important feature. Yes?

5. macrumors 65816

Luis

iPhone maybe?

6. BKF
    macrumors regular

Similar look to the current iPod, or the current iPhone?

7. macrumors 6502a

fastbite

Why would be thicker than the iPhone? It would have less 'functions' so I don't understand why.

8. macrumors member

it says "iPhone" on 9to5mac, not "iPod" sized screen.

9. macrumors regular

ghostshadow

I agree, I still like the tactile feeling of the buttons. Especially if I'm "eek" driving. I don't want to look at the iPod when I'm supposed to be concentrating on the road. Trying to fumble with it with both hands etc. I hope they don't get to futuristic that it'll kill the brand.

10. macrumors regular

480x320=resolution of current iPhone. If these new iPods are so = awesome.

11. macrumors member

hard drive vs. flash memory?

12. macrumors 68040

Propably because it uses hard-drive as opposed to flash

13. macrumors 6502

If it has the new 160gb hard drive I might just pull out my plastic money and make the quantum leap beyond my Mini iPod.

14. macrumors member

they probably will have tactile keys..im sure steve saw this ahead of time that touch and tactile would go well..i mean when ur sittin on the train and u wana watch a movie etc. u knw? u can use the full screen but on thte other edges there will be the tactile buttons..or like the new sony fone..u can shake it left to go to the last track or right to go to the next :p and up and down to stop it...
    or steve might do with the gestures and have it so slide ur finger right = next song left=last song u knw?
    so many possibilites...steve will come up for somethin for those that dont wana stare at their ipod

15. macrumors newbie

Arn...

Arn...

Looks like the guys at 9to5mac have some serious sources inside Apple. What's your take on who the leaker could be? Is it likely to be one person or a few? Also, doesn't it worry you a little that these guys have been on fire lately?

16. macrumors 65816

Clive At Five

I'm still not convinced 9to5Mac.com is a reliable source. I'm thinking they may have gotten lucky with the iMac... but we'll see.

BTW, I don't necessarily hate the proposed iPod Nano design or the idea of a multi-touch iPod, I'm just skeptical of their reliability.

We'll find out soon enough it sounds...

-Clive

17. macrumors 6502a

boss1

way to kick Zune while they're on the ground bleeding and barely breathing.

18. macrumors 68000

Loge

Now this is more like it, after yesterdays nano news. Shame they didn't post the picture of these instead of the fatPods, but clearly now they've learned a lesson there. Tie it in with the new 160GB drive and we have a worthwhile update.

19. macrumors member

iPod need to contain a 60G or whatever size hard disc

An iPod needs a 60G or whatever size hard disc, and an iPhone doesn't.

20. macrumors 6502a

Apple's approach to that problem, at least for the iPhone, has been to embed some controls on the earbuds. Would be nice to see BT included with stereo headset support.

21. macrumors 6502

I'm tired of all this talk about buttons and tactile feedback. If you want that you can always buy a used G5.5 or buy the refreshed Nano which will in the near future come with 16GB to satisfy the hungry ones.

1.8 hard drive

22. macrumors 6502a

boss1

I wonder what they do from 6to8

23. macrumors 6502a

rockstarjoe

They sure have been cranking out the info lately. I bet they will get burned soon. Apple will smoke out the leaker with some false info that will be fed to 9to5mac.

24. macrumors 65816

Clive At Five

An HDD for the high-end model, perhaps.

If Apple is really trying to push the iPod as a PMP, it'll need lots of storage. 16 or 32 GB is not going to cut it and a higher-capacity NAND flash-based device is not economically feasible.

-Clive

25. macrumors member

There seems to be a big move towards flash memory. It'll be interesting to see which way Apple goes. As technology gets smaller, flash memory will grow even more. I'm slightly confused though as to why this thing is going to be bigger...:confused: