Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vandlism

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2007
I don't see how people are actually opposing Wi-Fi on the iPod. Wi-Fi does not necessarily equal Safari, Mail and iChat. Wi-Fi is a networking enabler. I'd definitely appreciate the ability to share my iPod library via Bonjour. Streaming the music between iPods would be like the Zune's music transfer, but you wouldn't need to deal with DRM. If battery life becomes a concern, maybe they'll have a flash drive in addition to act as a buffer. Not to mention that YouTube is popping up on the AppleTV and iPhone, and it acts as a great way to view movies shared and uploaded by friends.

Finally the true use of Wi-Fi could be iTS purchases and rentals. iTunes already supports syncing purchased content back to iTunes from the iPod, so there are no hurdles there. Additionally, with the advent of DRM free music stores and upcoming competing products (2nd gen. Zune - whose real lacking feature was Wi-Fi that only shared via DRM), Apple may be ready to just spearhead the market and beat any competition.

Think of Wi-Fi as the ability to share and find music over a network, not your typical web browsing stuff.

Also, I wouldn't mind a last.fm plug-in. Just sayin'.

bananas

macrumors 6502
Aug 1, 2007
maybe something like this?

Attachments

• ipod.jpg
    ipod.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 1,587

drugs!

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2007
IMO it will probably will have tv screens that pop out the side so you can watch tv and scroll through your music at the same time, i also heard they were teaming up with visa and that its gonna double as a credit card since it will be so thin

drugs!

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2007
I don't see how people are actually opposing Wi-Fi on the iPod. Wi-Fi does not necessarily equal Safari, Mail and iChat. Wi-Fi is a networking enabler. I'd definitely appreciate the ability to share my iPod library via Bonjour. Streaming the music between iPods would be like the Zune's music transfer, but you wouldn't need to deal with DRM. If battery life becomes a concern, maybe they'll have a flash drive in addition to act as a buffer. Not to mention that YouTube is popping up on the AppleTV and iPhone, and it acts as a great way to view movies shared and uploaded by friends.

Finally the true use of Wi-Fi could be iTS purchases and rentals. iTunes already supports syncing purchased content back to iTunes from the iPod, so there are no hurdles there. Additionally, with the advent of DRM free music stores and upcoming competing products (2nd gen. Zune - whose real lacking feature was Wi-Fi that only shared via DRM), Apple may be ready to just spearhead the market and beat any competition.

Think of Wi-Fi as the ability to share and find music over a network, not your typical web browsing stuff.

finally a realistic assumption.... so i will rephrase my statement:

you are completely delusional if you think the rumored wifi will be for web browsing

zedsdead

macrumors 68040
Jun 20, 2007
maybe something like this?

not bad at all...but I am thinking the home button may just be on the side and th unit may be all screen...also the lack of a button on the front leaves the room for powerful stereo speakers.

Wayfarer

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2007
Since they were right about the new iMacs, not really... :p New rumors are always welcome - in case you haven't noticed, it's what we like to discuss here. :cool:

Well yeah, of course we love to read and discuss rumors here. I just strongly suspect the recent purported images of the new iPod nano have been fake and misleading. I don't like the fact they have evoked negative reactions as many people think they are real.

I still think 9to5mac is full of BS. :)

lord patton

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2005
Chicago
Also, relative to the supposed new Nano's; I think if Apple prices those properly, every kid in America will demand one. Put Wifi on it with iChat and "game over" for everyone. Handheld video player, iPod, IM, games....killer. Price it between $100 and $200 and watch out.

Close. You're thinking of the iPhone nano :D

Seriously: Touchscreen, camera, multitouch photobrowsing, IM, text, some widgets, and oh yeah an iPod. Price this at $200-$300 with a modest $5 data fee (no web-browsing so it should be unlimited texts) and it will sell a ton.

YouTube would depend on WiFi, which would depend on cost and size constraints.

But back to the iPod touch, sounds right. Bring it on.

jialuolu

macrumors regular
Oct 10, 2005
Canada
I hope the new iPod won't have the iPhone's chrome rim. I always thought that a plastic/glass edge looked way better

destroyboredom

macrumors 6502
Dec 16, 2002
Washington, DC.
I was thinking along these lines as well. I think wifi is almost a must. It will provide youtube access. It would also provide for web enabled widgets, check stocks, weather, etc...

macrumors newbie
Aug 9, 2007
Nville, Michigan
vid intf

idk if you all have seen the vid for the new (possible) vid intf but idk if i'm liking it that much : / I was looking forward to wi-fi and iPhone like features in the next gen iPod...heres the link

hmm thoughts ppl?

Taylor C

macrumors 6502a
May 27, 2007
I highly doubt that these new ipods will be completely touch based. The current click wheel is such an essential part of iPods ease-of-use, partly because of how it simulates tactile feedback through the UI.

I definitely think apple is moving away from the current UI, but I doubt this new product, whatever it is, will completely do away with tactile controls, but I could be wrong. Remember, jobs said "OS X based", so I think we'll see a new touch-centric UI but the external buttons on say... The iPhone will be replaced with media controls.

Whatever this new design is, i believe itll be the biggest ipod revamp sonce the product's original introduction in 2001.

jjneff

macrumors newbie
Aug 14, 2006
WiFi or I Cry!!! I want full web browser, I need to check some sites when I am away on vacation for my business, this is much better than carrying a laptop! e-mail would be awsome as well. Why in the world would people not want wifi???

vandlism

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2007
WiFi or I Cry!!! I want full web browser, I need to check some sites when I am away on vacation for my business, this is much better than carrying a laptop! e-mail would be awsome as well. Why in the world would people not want wifi???

iPhone much?

whatever

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2001
South of Boston, MA
Once You Go Flash, You Never Go Back!

One should be the big one with 120 or 160GB. There are many of us who have been waiting to graduate to one that fits all of our music.
I gotta say, after living with my iPod Shuffle G2 since Christmas and dropping it on the garage floor a number of times (even kicking it across the floor once) I have to say that it would take a lot for me to switch to an HD based iPod.

Using my 40GB iPod is painful. From the spinup of the drive and the overall noise of the drive, God how did I ever live with that.

A 16GB or 32GB Flash based iPod would be awesome.

Since the Flash drive is so small, couldn't they daisychain several of them in the same space of an 1.8 drive?

buedrow

macrumors newbie
May 30, 2007
They clearly ticked off apple legal didnt they? I have the feeling that they are dead on accurate...

The only real question is whether or not Apple will limit the capacity by implimenting flash memory.

If I wanted to create some serious buzz (and advertising revenue) for a rumors site, I would post a picture of a PSD document and then, soon after, take it down, claiming Apple Legal "called" me and requested I do so. It would no doubt flood my website with hits.

Quickdood

macrumors regular
Aug 17, 2007
Wifi

Of course people want Wifi, the thing is apple doesn't always give people what they want right away. Wifi will prob be in the 7G ipod, apple usually takes baby steps and a step up to a multi-touch widescreen is large enough for them now. Also as many have said they want the difference between the iphone and the ipod to be large enough so one will consider owning both.

vandlism

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2007
If I wanted to create some serious buzz (and advertising revenue) for a rumors site, I would post a picture of a PSD document and then, soon after, take it down, claiming Apple Legal "called" me and requested I do so. It would no doubt flood my website with hits.

And then would you convince the other tech blogs that you are in fact Apple legal and have them remove the pictures too?

Quickdood

macrumors regular
Aug 17, 2007

The fact that gizmodo also got asked to take down their images and macrumors only has a link to engadget now makes me believe that apple legal really did get involved

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.