Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kt180

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 30, 2015
My ipod isn't even a year old, the battery keeps draining while im using it whilst its charging. its never done this before. never jailbroken. have dropped it a few times. Will i need to replace the battery? or a new charger? i use the ipad charger dock thingy, and the original cable for the ipod. it's updated to ios 9.2, never had this problem before. please help. :(

ApfelKuchen

macrumors 601
Aug 28, 2012
Between the coasts
Does the battery icon show that it's charging (lightning-bolt icon)?

If not, then be sure your charger is plugged into a working power outlet (plug something else into that same outlet). If you have another cable, try another cable. If you have the "charger dock thingy" plugged into a power outlet, try plugging it into the USB port on a computer.

If the icon shows that it is charging but the battery drains anyway, try restarting the iPod - full power-off (Slide to power off). Try force-quitting the apps that are currently running (double-click Home button, slide app "pages" off the top of the screen) and restart again.

If none of that helps, consider backing-up the iPod and Restore iOS (erase and reinstall the operating system), and set it up as if it was a new iPod. If it works well, then restore your backup. If the problem comes back (which is rare), then there's probably something wrong with an app and/or your user data.

But in the end, if your iPod is less than a year old, it is still covered by warranty. Contact Apple now, don't wait until after the warranty expires. They'll have you do everything I mentioned above, but they can also test for a defective battery.

Reactions: kt180

kt180

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 30, 2015
Does the battery icon show that it's charging (lightning-bolt icon)?

If not, then be sure your charger is plugged into a working power outlet (plug something else into that same outlet). If you have another cable, try another cable. If you have the "charger dock thingy" plugged into a power outlet, try plugging it into the USB port on a computer.

If the icon shows that it is charging but the battery drains anyway, try restarting the iPod - full power-off (Slide to power off). Try force-quitting the apps that are currently running (double-click Home button, slide app "pages" off the top of the screen) and restart again.

If none of that helps, consider backing-up the iPod and Restore iOS (erase and reinstall the operating system), and set it up as if it was a new iPod. If it works well, then restore your backup. If the problem comes back (which is rare), then there's probably something wrong with an app and/or your user data.

But in the end, if your iPod is less than a year old, it is still covered by warranty. Contact Apple now, don't wait until after the warranty expires. They'll have you do everything I mentioned above, but they can also test for a defective battery.

Hi, yes it does show that its charging. and i have charged my iphone with that same port so it's not that, i have tried resetting it and i closed all apps, i have backed it up, and how can i reset the whole ios? and do you need a receipt for the warranty? i bought it from BIG W and i've lost the receipt..

ApfelKuchen

macrumors 601
Aug 28, 2012
Between the coasts
Good work on that.

You don't need the receipt to reset ("restore") iOS (or any other pre-requisites). You do need a current version of iTunes installed on a computer. Presuming you have music and apps from iTunes and App Store, you do need your Apple ID email address and password. Here's Apple's illustrated how-to article https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201252

kt180

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 30, 2015
ah, sorry, i mean do i need a receipt to take it into apple? & also, if i reset it, hopefully the problem will go away. Does itunes also backup your photos? thanks! :)

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
You don't need a receipt, just bring it to an Apple Store and they will do a diagnostic on it. But do a full backup to a computer, first.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.