iPod touch + Google Voice + Talkatone = iPhone 5?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Luis2004, Feb 17, 2013.

1. macrumors 6502a

Dec 30, 2012
    Is this possible? If I buy the latest iPod touch and install Talkatone to use my google voice account, is it basically an IPhone 5 without the contract???
  2. macrumors 68040

Jun 28, 2009
    Encinitas, CA

The new iPod Touch is much thinner than the iPhone5.
  3. thread starter macrumors 6502a

Dec 30, 2012
    Lol. Yes, I know that the specs are not exactly the same. I mean, is it an iPhone in a practical sense?
  4. macrumors 6502

May 13, 2012
    Six Rivers, CA
    I don't think the iPod touch has a proximity sensor and you'll be limited to making calls according to your wifi reception, i.e. when you have it. Yes it can work, for some, maybe you, it's been done. And discussed. Repeatedly.
  5. macrumors 68040

Jul 2, 2012
    nope. its still an ipod touch. one that can make and receive calls on wifi.
  6. HobeSoundDarryl, Feb 18, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2013

macrumors 601

Feb 8, 2004
    Hobe Sound, FL (20 miles north of Palm Beach)
    Yes this will work... And pretty well, IF you can live with the (only) wifi connection. If you are around wifi when you want to take or make a call or text, all will work well. If you can't be around wifi, then the experience is less. One solution: a Mifi device, so you can take your emergency backup wifi anywhere. Turn it on when you need it and that works very well.

Suggestion: ipad mini with LTE. That's still portable and, effectively, has the " Mifi" built right in. I use that with talkatone and earbuds with microphone and all works very well.
  7. macrumors 6502a

Mar 29, 2011
    Orlando, Florida
    Do a search: this has been discussed ad nauseam.
  8. macrumors newbie

Jul 31, 2013
    Additional Question about iPod Touch 5

I am considering getting a Touch 5 to use for phone with Talkatone over WIFI at home, and a Mobile Hotspot when not at home. Can anyone tell me if calls are always on speakersphone with the Touch 5, unless you are using a headphone or a Bluetooth device? Is it possible that there is a setting that will allow you to hear and talk as on a Smartphone without the use of a headset?
  9. macrumors 68020

Nov 15, 2007
    There is no 'ear speaker' on an iPod Touch so you can either have speakerphone or a line out or a head set.

I do think it can pair to a bluetooth headset as well but I'm just stretching.
  10. macrumors regular

Jan 8, 2013
    The iPod touch has a speaker on the bottom edge and a microphone near the camera, so I make phone calls on mine sometimes by holding it upside down with the screen facing out, so the speaker is near my ear and the microphone is near my mouth. It's a little awkward but it works.
  11. macrumors 68020

Mar 19, 2012