Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

beck

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 13, 2006
I've got a 2ng gen ipod touch and a 3g iphone both don't show up in itunes anymore, but they do show in iphoto, this is in my mbp.

- I've plugged them into a macbook and they show up fine.
- I installed iphone configuration utility about a week ago, it doesn't show up in there, i think this may have broke it,
- I've followed the apple instructions http://support.apple.com/kb/TS2050 and it didn't fix the problem
- I restored my ipod using the macbook, this hasn't fixed the problem
- When I put the device in recovery mode itunes does sees it, i press 'restore' but get this message:

"software for this ipod is not currently available. make sure you have the latest version of itunes and try again"
I do have the latest version.

can anyone help?

DPA

macrumors 65816
What version of iPod TouchOS is your iPod Touch running? Download the OS that you want, here, and save it to somewhere easy to find, like your desktop. Since you have the 2G iPod Touch, you will want the firmware file that starts out like iPod2,1...,. Then, while in Recovery Mode (so iTunes can see it) hold the Option key. This will allow you to restore from a IPSW file of your choice. Select the IPSW file you downloaded from iClarified and click Ok. This should work and your iPod Touch will be restoring from the version of software you selected. You should then be able to restore again with a backup, if you want.

David

beck

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 13, 2006
What version of iPod TouchOS is your iPod Touch running? Download the OS that you want, here, and save it to somewhere easy to find, like your desktop. Since you have the 2G iPod Touch, you will want the firmware file that starts out like iPod2,1...,. Then, while in Recovery Mode (so iTunes can see it) hold the Option key. This will allow you to restore from a IPSW file of your choice. Select the IPSW file you downloaded from iClarified and click Ok. This should work and your iPod Touch will be restoring from the version of software you selected. You should then be able to restore again with a backup, if you want.

David

thanks but the actual devices are fine, its my mac that has the issue. Ill try it as a work around but I don't believe that will help.

beck

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 13, 2006
Do you have any plugins installed?

David

not in itunes, got growl running, use quicksilver to change song. nothing i would think that makes a difference. :confused:

currently d/ling itunes 8.0 via bit torrent. Ill follow the apple guide and try again with this.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.