Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thumper

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 25, 2003
Under the Sea
i have a power book and im about to get a new mac... i was thinking
about getting a macbook pro...

but now im thinking about getting a 24" iMac and just getting
an iPod Touch for portability...

i heard you can run MSN and view the full internet including google video
so thats pretty handy...

what do you think?

Mernak

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2006
Kirkland, WA
It really depends what you need the portability for. Doing anything more than just basic stuff on an iPod Touch / iPhone would get annoying really quickly. Even browsing the internet gets annoying after a time (but overall it works fine). However, on a actual laptop you get a much bigger screen, ability to load more programs on it, more HD space, and word processing ability.

One idea would be to get the new iMac, and keep your powerbook as your portable machine.

PkennethV

macrumors 6502a
Aug 16, 2006
Toronto
Well it depends what your needs are exactly. Say...you won't be able to run Aperture or even iPhoto for that matter on the go. If you're just surfing the net and watching youtube/google videos than it is a *possibility.* But then again if that really is all you're doing, why would you want to upgrade your PowerBook to a MacBook? And personally, even at home I'd rather surf the net on a laptop than my iPod touch.

One thing to keep in mind with MSN on the iPod touch...unlike the iPhone, there are no audio alerts when you receive messages. Also, the internet connection is turned off when you turn of the screen of the iPod so you can only really be on MSN on the iPod touch for 1.5 hours or so. I wouldn't want that eating up the battery of my music player, unless you've got 2 iPods...but still I wouldn't...(my 5g iPod is collecting dust).

IMcD23

macrumors regular
Hey,

I wouldnt get just an iPod touch, because it is a great little device, but if u really want 1, get both a MacBook and an iPod touch and sync them so if u need to do something quick, u can just pull out the Ipod (like looking up a website or adding a contact) other than pulling out your laptop. Otherwise, I wouldnt get one if ur not just surfing the web a little or listening to music or videos

IMcD24

powerbook911

macrumors 68040
Mar 15, 2005
The touch doesn't have email yet.

It comes a little closer to a good idea, if you were talking about an iphone.

Example: I don't want to travel with my Powerbook now that I have the iPhone. It does basically meet my needs, when I'm on a trip now.

However, a touch wouldn't.

SXR

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2007
Netherlands
Exactly the same thing I thought when I got my phone with an unlimited data plan. Although the web functions are not as sophisticated as those of the ipod touch and iphone , i thought i could get something done on it. But its not like that. Get the iMac and keep your powerbook.

SXR

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2007
Netherlands
If you jailbreak it, you can put on Mail, Maps, Notes, Weather, and Stocks just from installer.app on the touch. I have the apps working great on both my touches

IMcD23

But you don't have EDGE acces, so finding a Wi-Fi hotspot all the time is pretty anoying. Unless your home or in the office, starbucks, stuff like that. You will always be in an alley or somewhere where there is no Wi-Fi.

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop
MBP or iPod Touch:confused::confused:

If you are really considering the touch as a viable option against the MBP then the MBP is overkill for your needs.

SXR

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2007
Netherlands
I agree, but there is wifi slot of places now. If you truly want internet anywhere, get a computer with a verizon chip or something or get an iphone.

yep good point. Mobile broadband or something is great. but as far as i know , macbooks (pros) dont have slots for those.

epicwelshman

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2006
Nassau, Bahamas
MBP or iPod Touch:confused::confused:

If you are really considering the touch as a viable option against the MBP then the MBP is overkill for your needs.

It's not that the OP is choosing between an MBP and a Touch; he's trying to determine whether his portability needs requires an MBP over an iMac, or whether he can get away with a Touch for his portable needs.

Seeing as he's choosing between an MBP and an iMac it's safe to assume he needs (or at least wants) a relatively powerful computer.

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop
It's not that the OP is choosing between an MBP and a Touch; he's trying to determine whether his portability needs requires an MBP over an iMac, or whether he can get away with a Touch for his portable needs.

Seeing as he's choosing between an MBP and an iMac it's safe to assume he needs (or at least wants) a relatively powerful computer.

Sort of what I was going for, which makes your comments the visa versa.

go team work.

jnc

macrumors 68020
Jan 7, 2007
Nunya, Business TX
yep good point. Mobile broadband or something is great. but as far as i know , macbooks (pros) dont have slots for those.

There are USB dongles that do the job here in the UK, can't think of any expresscard alternatives, but there probably are.

SXR

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2007
Netherlands
There are USB dongles that do the job here in the UK, can't think of any expresscard alternatives, but there probably are.

Ah ofcourse, even more dongles..

seriously though , added such a slot would be more use than adding a dongle.
i should take an ACD with me , just a dongle ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.