Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BWhaler

macrumors 68040
Jan 8, 2003
As a huge Apple supporter and as someone who spends between $1,000 and $5,000 per year on Apple products, it kills me to write this post.

But, this iPod touch screen issue is just another example of the massive quality issues Apple has been having over the past couple of years.

I think the problem is in two areas: first, manufacturing quality is terrible at this point. Yes, I know no manufacturing process is flawless, but there are just more and more reports of problems with build, fit and finish. (And my little birds who would know such things have quietly agreed.) From the MacBooks shutting down from the heat issues, the dirty iMac screens, the problems with the displays in the MBP line, Cinema displays, to the 20" iMac displays, Apple doesn't build quality into their products like they used to.

Hell, the fact that thousands of people were tracking motherboard builds on the MacBook and iPhone should send warning bells all across the 3rd floor of 1 Infinite Loop. First, it's the core who notices and discusses on sites like this. Next, its the main stream and Walt Mossberg. (At that point you're cooked.)

Second, software QA is a total disaster. The number of rapid patches which need to come out days later are increasing. OSX 10.3.0 which crashed hard drives, Safari for Windows, the new iMac patch which is bricking iMacs randomly, the last three updates of itunes, two of the three new iPods needed emergency patches...the list goes on and on.

I bought the iPod nano and the new 160gig iPod classic. (Thankfully, I passed on the iPod touch since 16gigs is a total joke for an iPod which is intended for video.)

Anyway, I am amazed at the number of bugs with both of the new iPods and some basic UI flaws. Random white lines down the right side of the screen which can be removed with a reboot. "Podcasts" stays in the main menu even when the settings are set to off until you add it and then remove it again, the moving artwork doesn't always match what is selected in the menu. The list goes on and on, and if these players had a "Zune" label on them, I would mock the device as "typical Microsoft software."

For the first time since purchasing since 11 iPods, I actually thought about returning an iPod last night for quality reasons.

I am worried my friends. Something definitely is not right with Apple nowadays.

What amazes me is Microsoft/Dell/Sony hasn't figured this out yet. It's Apple's achieles heal. If I were working at one of those companies, I would position Apple as the "Ferrari" of the tech world. Beautiful, sure, but expensive and so riddled with quality issues, that the car is in the shop most of the time.

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?
Displays are a big problem for Apple and have been for some time. You'd think they'd learn from these issues.

Yeah, whatever they're doing at the Apple Display Factory is just inexcusable. In fact, we should storm the gates in protest. Where exactly is the factory that manufactures Apple displays, again?

:rolleyes:

garrettcode

macrumors newbie
Jun 30, 2007
shimmery screen

Its a pretty bad issue. My unit is almost unwatchable in scenes with large amounts of dark areas.

When I watch superman returns, I have to hold the unit at a specific angle so that the effect doesn't manifest. If I don't, some scenes, like him in space, are impossible to watch. However, as long as I hold it at the right angle it's just fine. Oddly enough, when I watch back to the future, the scenes in the parking lot at night look just fine, and I haven't had to play with the angle. It could just be the compression, but it's also possible that the blacks are deeper in superman returns. It's worth mentioning that I've not seen any issues in the youtube videos I've watched.

For now I'm content with it. By the way, this was posted from my Touch.

O and A

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2002
New York City
I have the negative black issue on my 16 gig ipod touch. It also has like 30 extremly tiny little dead pixels!

But the genius bar told me they will replace it because of the high number of dead pixels. They are just really hard to see because of the high pixel desnity but once u see one u see them all. My friends ipod touch also has several dead pixels.

Sometehing went horribly wrong in Quality control with these screens IMO

at least apple is replacing mine.

animenick65

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2006
I bought my touch at a Best Buy and I want to exchange it and see if I can get a better unit. Can I just bring it back to any Best Buy or can I bring it to an Apple Store?

Parky

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2006
I cancelled my order for a 16GB iPod touch from the UK Apple Store yesterday. I think I will wait it out a little longer and see what happens.

All the cancelled orders should be getting Apple's attention by now as there seem to be quite a few people doing the same thing.

I do hope this is a software issue, BUT I suspect it is not and a bad batch of screens have been used by the manufacturer.

Ian

swingerofbirch

macrumors 68040
I wonder if the price points aren't partly responsible.

The Flash memory used in these is expensive, then you're adding a multi-touch screen for prices that are close to the iPhone--the difference is that the iPhone is subsidized to Apple with monthly revenue from ATT.

I'm guessing they just keep pushing their Chinese factories more and more to their limits.

SuperMan11MS

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2007
Not Limited to the Ipod Touch, New iPhones Have This Too

THIS IS NOT LIMITED TO JUST THE IPOD TOUCH.

I purchased a second iPhone on Friday September 14th from the Apple store in Orlando, FL. When comparing it to my iPhone that I had purchased the day after launch day you could clearly see the difference. It had this same exact issue. The black areas almost looked blue because of the combination of the negative effect on the black areas. You guys know the story. But anyway, my main point is that this is not limited to the new touch's, it happens on the new iPhones too. I took my second iPhone back on Sunday and received a new one with the same issues. Store employee said there are two different screen manufacturers. They are kinda disorienting. I'm very unhappy with my second iPhone purchase.

RCGMac

macrumors regular
Aug 21, 2007
My unit is fine, no screen issues. I watched several videos this weekend and showed it off to my friends and family, they were all very impressed. When I get home from work, I will TRY to take some pictures, but I only have the iSight in my MB to use. I bought my 8GB unit Friday morning at the Southdale Apple Store in Edina, MN.

jawporta

macrumors member
Sep 4, 2007
iPod Touch Problems

Apple needs to give those Chinese people a rase, I'm not joking. The quality control is really slipping.

mrzippy

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2003
Kent, UK
My unit is fine, no screen issues. I watched several videos this weekend and showed it off to my friends and family, they were all very impressed. When I get home from work, I will TRY to take some pictures, but I only have the iSight in my MB to use. I bought my 8GB unit Friday morning at the Southdale Apple Store in Edina, MN.

I would be very interested to see some pictures of good screens, better still in comparison to bad ones... Only comparisons like this are iPhone vs iPod.

mrzippy

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2003
Kent, UK
Does the issue affect 8 and 16GB models

Most comments I seem to remember regard the 16GB models, could this mean it only affects them... Post above states he has a good screen on this 8GB model.

RCGMac

macrumors regular
Aug 21, 2007
Most comments I seem to remember regard the 16GB models, could this mean it only affects them... Post above states he has a good screen on this 8GB model.

That was one thing I was thinking, especially since many of the people who bought them on Thursday and Friday seemed to be buying the 16GB units. Many of the threads on here were saying that many stores were sold out of the 16GB units but still had 8GB units.

I know that was the case in my situation.

joemama

macrumors 6502
Apr 21, 2003
I bought my touch at a Best Buy and I want to exchange it and see if I can get a better unit. Can I just bring it back to any Best Buy or can I bring it to an Apple Store?

You have to return it at Best Buy. Do it as soon as possible too. I would worry about if you tell them it doesn't work right, they might tell you it's Apple's problem and not give you your money back. Watch out!

While the screen issue is unacceptable, it's a first generation product. And it doesn't yet have the mail program, so return them and wait for the screen to be fixed and Mail to come out.

Christmas time, people.....Christmas.

koobcamuk

macrumors 68040
Oct 23, 2006
...If anything I'd say their quality is getting better when you see how quiet their machines are nowadays...

I agreed with you until you said quiet. Open up an iBook. Silent. Use a Macbook. Not silent. At all. I know the power's different - but you mislead when you say they are quieter... more description needed.

RCGMac

macrumors regular
Aug 21, 2007
I agreed with you until you said quiet. Open up an iBook. Silent. Use a Macbook. Not silent. At all. I know the power's different - but you mislead when you say they are quieter... more description needed.

My Macbook is quiet most of the time, I only hear the fan when I am doing something intensive, or if I am using Vista (Stupid Resource-Hog) :mad:.

quadgirl

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2006
I hope these issues are sorted before they arrive in the UK, as I really really want an iPod touch!

About time Apple commented, as this has been picked up by numerous news sites.

Maybe they will do a Q&A in London tomorrow, you know someone will mention it!

They are available now in the UK, just showing '28th September' on the Apple UK online store. But some Apple stores have them (Regent Street, etc)

I guess those who have bought from London are having the same issues though and it would be wise to wait.

I does seem like Apple are having some quality control problems recently (iMac screen, new iPod Nano and Classic performance). The problems seem more noticeable recently as Apple have been bringing out a lot more new (rev A) products recently. They will get it sorted, just need to be patient (or don't by a Rev A).

sikkinixx

macrumors 68020
Jul 10, 2005
Rocketing through the sky!
Man people are picky. I went to the Apple Store last week and didn't notice a thing when I played with them.

that means all of them have no problems? :rolleyes:

I just read the iLounge review and I am glad resisted the urge to click the 'buy' button a few weeks ago. Another bad Apple product and I would probably leave the brand for good. Between 4 random shutdown macbooks, 2 yellow screened 2.2ghz MBP's and a DOA iPod Nano the last damn thing I need if for something else to have troubles.

Hopefully next revision gets all the bugs ironed out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.