Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iPod Touch or iPad mini?

• iPod Touch

Votes: 6 8.6%
  • iPad mini

Votes: 57 81.4%
  • Neither/Other

Votes: 7 10.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Gamoe

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 19, 2006
I don't have a smart phone because I'm not willing to pay more per month on my cell phone bill and an unlocked iPhone wouldn't even work on my provider (and is way too pricey).

I also don't have a tablet. I want a device that can be a companion- and sync with my notes, reminders, calendar etc. on my Mac. The difficult choice now is between an iPod Touch and an iPad mini.

On the one hand, the iPod Touch is pocketable. This is a big one. I can put it in my pocket next to my phone. I can take decent quality photos. I can pull it out anywhere and work with my local content (eBooks, calendar, etc..)

But on the other hand, the iPad mini is better optimized for content (eBooks, etc). I suppose I could take it with me to some places (work, etc.), but I don't see myself taking it to nearly as many places as a Touch. On the other hand, I'm sure it's a richer experience in relation to a Touch.

And though I'm not as upset as some people are over the iPod mini price/stats, I'm wondering if Apple will make a mayor update (retina display,etc.) to the mini in 6-12 months, though I don't see the Touch gaining similar breakthrough features anytime soon. In which case, I might feel slightly bad at having bought a gen 1 iPad mini, though it wouldn't be the end of the world either (especially coming from no smartphone and no tablet).

Anyway, what's your take on my upcoming decision?

smooth

macrumors 6502
Nov 12, 2007
Detroit
How much reading do you do? If you are a reader, and using e-books as opposed to paper, I would go with the iPad Mini. I have an iPhone and an iPad and occasionally I will sneak in a chapter or two on my iPhone, but it is really too small for any considerable reading. If I didn't have an iPad, I would never have went digital with my books. And if the Mini rumors had started just a few months earlier, I would have held out for one opposed to the iPad. If it's you mainly need just a digital organizer/planner/address book, I'd go with the iPod.

And if you decide on an iPad, just get one now. Don't wait for the Mini 2 or sweat about the retina.

raccoonboy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2012
can not choose, both are the wrong choice for you.

Ipod touch even with 4 inch screen still too small for ebooks. It takes great photoes though but video seems to have issue with autofocus. Price is expensive for a non phone device. I doubt its durability because it is kinda lightweight.

Ipad mini, with hideous screen of course better for reading stuff (compare to ipod) since it is larger but you better get yourself Ipad 4.

Both way too expensive for what it can do, in my opinion. If you dont mind, get kindle fire hd or Nook HD for better experiences.

jojoba

macrumors 68000
Dec 9, 2011
Agree with smooth, depends on how much and for how long you plan on reading. If it's just checking emails and web sites on the go, get iPod. If you want to read for longer periods and have 3/4G access when you're out, get the mini.

MicroByte

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2008
I don't have a smart phone because I'm not willing to pay more per month on my cell phone bill and an unlocked iPhone wouldn't even work on my provider (and is way too pricey).

Anyway, what's your take on my upcoming decision?

You are in the position I would like to be in right now, let me explain. Back in September/October, I was really excited about the new iPod Touch. The thought of a iPad mini (only rumor at the time) had crossed my mind, but it was just a rumor. Picked up my iPod on Oct. 10th and really do love it. It fits fine in pockets, looks great and is a huge step over 4th gen.

Come this past Friday. I went to the Apple Store to check out the Mini and have to say, I wish I would have spend the extra $29 to get it. They are both priced comparable, but the mini just seems like a better value to me.

Spec wise, the mini is a little faster, but the battery life is what really get's me. It also seems like it's small enough to be portable as well. Not as portable as the iPod Touch obviously, but definitely something easy enough to carry around.

In the end, I'm going to the Apple store today to see if I can exchange my iPod for a Mini. Probably not since I'm outside of the 14 days, but I would really like one.

TJ61

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2011
Do you have anything for listening to music/podcasts/audiobooks? That's number 1 for me, and if I didn't have an iPhone on me at all times, I'd still be carrying some form of iPod. A Mini would not be my choice for this.

How about web access -- like actually looking at/interacting with web content? Is that important to you? Then that points to a mini.

Regards,
Tom

CandyNJ66

macrumors regular
Feb 11, 2009
USA
You are in the position I would like to be in right now, let me explain. Back in September/October, I was really excited about the new iPod Touch. The thought of a iPad mini (only rumor at the time) had crossed my mind, but it was just a rumor. Picked up my iPod on Oct. 10th and really do love it. It fits fine in pockets, looks great and is a huge step over 4th gen.

Come this past Friday. I went to the Apple Store to check out the Mini and have to say, I wish I would have spend the extra $29 to get it. They are both priced comparable, but the mini just seems like a better value to me.

Spec wise, the mini is a little faster, but the battery life is what really get's me. It also seems like it's small enough to be portable as well. Not as portable as the iPod Touch obviously, but definitely something easy enough to carry around.

In the end, I'm going to the Apple store today to see if I can exchange my iPod for a Mini. Probably not since I'm outside of the 14 days, but I would really like one.

I've always been able to get a manager waive the 14 day return policy. Usually they will have no problem doing an exchange if it's within a month.

I think you will be able to walk out with a mini today but call ahead of time. :)

Gamoe

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 19, 2006
I went to the Apple Store and played around with both the iPod Touch and the iPad mini. I was impressed by both.

Although I thought the text was a little small on the preloaded Wired and Geek magazines on the mini- And I saw no way to make the font bigger! It wasn't any smaller really than lots of books I've read- but I really like the ability to increase font size to a more comfortable level. I don't consider this the fault of the mini- I take much more issue with the lack of choice in the applications instead.

I'm really torn. I think Apple's overpriced the Touch a tad- but I feel that there's no other comparable iOS experience out there when it comes to portability with the exception of the iPhone, of course.

The iPad mini seems like the better value overall, but is not useful to me in many of the situations I would like to have iOS with me. Also, my iPod could use an update, since my music library has exceeded its capacity, but to fit everything I'd have to get a 64GB model, and I'm even less sure about blowing $400 on a Touch.

P.S. Good luck on your exchange, MicroByte!

Gamoe

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 19, 2006
I finally decided on the 64 GB Touch, just because I know it's a device I should get years of use from if only as a music player, even though the price is a little steep. That said, I'm planning on getting an iPad mini sometime next year, perhaps at the time of the next revision.

raccoonboy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2012
I finally decided on the 64 GB Touch, just because I know it's a device I should get years of use from if only as a music player, even though the price is a little steep. That said, I'm planning on getting an iPad mini sometime next year, perhaps at the time of the next revision.

OMG!, U finally blew 400 for a Touch. To be honest, both are well overpriced. Ipad mini happened to sport a thinner glass and it doesn't seem like it could hold a long use. Ipod touch 5 is way too slimm and who complained that the 4 is too thick??? They do need to take away ALS!

For me, Post Steve era product are just way too expensive, not to mention the accessories. $29 for lightning to 30 pin cable. If they wanna charge so much, pls also include some innovation in your product. Im done with apple.

Appl3FTW

macrumors 603
Nov 15, 2012
32gb 4" touch= 299
16gb 7.9" mini= 329

you get so much of what your money's worth with the mini.. ANSWER: MINI

----------

OMG!, U finally blew 400 for a Touch. To be honest, both are well overpriced. Ipad mini happened to sport a thinner glass and it doesn't seem like it could hold a long use. Ipod touch 5 is way too slimm and who complained that the 4 is too thick??? They do need to take away ALS!

For me, Post Steve era product are just way too expensive, not to mention the accessories. $29 for lightning to 30 pin cable. If they wanna charge so much, pls also include some innovation in your product. Im done with apple.

ur in thailand... neighbor samsung is calling u

Gamoe

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 19, 2006

Hey racoonboy, I totally agree that both the iPod Touch and the iPad mini are overpriced. I'm not going to deny or rationalize it. The only thing that truly justified it for me is that I tend to have a long upgrade cycle and this was a major upgrade to the Touch.

I had my last iPod for 8 years. I also wanted an iOS device I could carry with me in my pocket, and an iPhone is no option for me, given the (for me) prohibitive data plan costs in addition to the price of the device itself. So I figure if this Touch will last at least 5, with all the added functionality, it will have been at least worth the cost.

That said, I don't agree that it's only post-Steve products. Frankly, I think people just want to see some difference, when there really isn't. Exactly when have Apple products been cheap? No, I think this is regular Apple. The price of the the Touch will drop in a year or so. And the price/value of the iPad Mini will also improve next year, I expect, which is when I plan to nab one.

hkfan24

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2012

You're becoming one of the most annoying posters on these boards. You bring nothing logical or rational to the discussion table.

If you're done with Apple, then see ya!

Gamoe

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 19, 2006
You're becoming one of the most annoying posters on these boards. You bring nothing logical or rational to the discussion table.

(Translation: I don't like what you have to say- Shut up!)

You do not speak for the board. racoonboy doesn't have to leave just because you don't like what he says or even if he's "done with Apple". I am tired of the bullying and insults on this board. YOU leave if you don't like what others are posting.

raccoonboy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2012
(Translation: I don't like what you have to say- Shut up!)

You do not speak for the board. racoonboy doesn't have to leave just because you don't like what he says or even if he's "done with Apple". I am tired of the bullying and insults on this board. YOU leave if you don't like what others are posting.

Thanks, Gamoe. I wont leave this board. I like annoying people who told themselves every apple device is magnificent. I owned both Ipad and Ipod touch and im amazed by what it can do and how competitors are trying their best to compete.

Im just little disappointed by their releases this year and im sure many people are. But disagreement is part of society. Thats why its fun.

CandyNJ66

macrumors regular
Feb 11, 2009
USA

Actually bullying is annoying, so please put a sock in it and accept other opinions that differ than yours. :)

Last edited:
M

Mr.damien

Thanks, Gamoe. I wont leave this board. I like annoying people who told themselves every apple device is magnificent. I owned both Ipad and Ipod touch and im amazed by what it can do and how competitors are trying their best to compete.

Im just little disappointed by their releases this year and im sure many people are. But disagreement is part of society. Thats why its fun.

So you like wasting your time with people that you don't like. Wow, you must have a crappy and empty life.

WilliamLondon

macrumors 68000
Dec 8, 2006
Im done with apple.

Then why did you join an Apple fan forum just last month? And why are you here, other than to rain on everyone else's parade with your (newly?) developed anti-Apple attitude? That's typical troll behaviour. He didn't ask in this thread which products you hate or think are too expensive, that's not what the thread is about, but trolls always find a way to insert their dislike or hatred of everything Apple into threads of *any* subject.

d123

macrumors 68020
Oct 19, 2009
Earth

So, have you actually had a Mini yet? As in a real one bought from a shop?

It would seem it hasn't yet been released in Thailand :confused:.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.