Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NiroNavro

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 15, 2008
First let me apologize in advance if this has already been discussed. Now for my question:
Is it possible at all that the iPod touch will get a cosmetic makeover to look like the iPhone 3G? Because I fricken hate the chrome backing. Mine is scratched to ****. It is as ugly as all hell. I love the look of the new iPhone. It's the bees knees. Is there any chance of this happening? If so then I am all over that.

Edit: And what are the chances that we'll ever see an iPod touch with a hard drive instead of a flash drive?

rioting

macrumors member
Jan 21, 2008
As long as the other iPod have the stainless steel backing, I highly doubt it will be changed. It's the 'classic' look, ya know what I mean?

Dark K

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2008
iPod Touch should have his era soon, everything is now iPhone, and what comes the iPhone comes to the iPod, sometime soon, Apple must develop something unique for the iPod.

illidian

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2008
Cincinnati, OH
I would be surprised if Apple moved away from the current backing. The Touch doesn't need the better reception for 3G and GPS as the iPhone does. I see it as a way to differentiate between the Touch and the iPhone, visually.

Also, all the iPods have the aluminum/stainless back. Keep it standard across the entire line.

brent0saurus

macrumors regular
Feb 16, 2006
I would be surprised if Apple moved away from the current backing. The Touch doesn't need the better reception for 3G and GPS as the iPhone does. I see it as a way to differentiate between the Touch and the iPhone, visually.

Also, all the iPods have the aluminum/stainless back. Keep it standard across the entire line.

let this be known as the best answer. It makes sense for Apple to have something to differentiate the iPod touch from the iPhone, while keeping all of the iPods consistent. Plus, the stainless steel is more environmentally friendly.
All i want from the new iPod touch is a camera.

copydeskcat

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2008
I've said it before, and I'll say it again...

1. New case (same as iPhone).
2. More memory (possibly up to 64GB).
3. More Colours.
4. Price drop
5. The 8GB will be dropped.

Don't expect anything else major to the Touch other than cosmetics and memory.

You simply are not going to get Bluetooth, a camera or GPS on the Touch - or sales of iPhone would drop.

atad6

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2006
Exactly, look at the relatively small changes that were made to the iphone. GPS would be kind of useless without a data connection and adding a camera/microphone would make it too similar to the iphone. The only way I could see them adding 64gb would be if they bumped up the iphone to at least 32gb at the same time.

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
Is it possible at all that the iPod touch will get a cosmetic makeover to look like the iPhone 3G?
Don't think so.

The metal back is more than for looks. It provides a heat sink. It also provides structure to enable the Touch to be thinner.

The iPod Touch is 0.31 inches thick. The iPhone is 0.42 inches thick.

The iPhone is 35% thicker than the Touch.

And what are the chances that we'll ever see an iPod touch with a hard drive instead of a flash drive?
Never, unless...

The Touch form factor replaces the Classic version of the iPod.

I would be surprised if Apple moved away from the current backing. The Touch doesn't need the better reception for 3G and GPS as the iPhone does.
Exactly.

I see it as a way to differentiate between the Touch and the iPhone, visually.

Interesting points.

The only way I could see them adding 64gb would be if they bumped up the iphone to at least 32gb at the same time.
Currently, the iPhone has one memory slot and the Touch has two. So the max memory in the Touch will be twice that of the iPhone with the current designs.

branjosef

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2007
Please, wont somebody make it stop...

We all know you need a data connection to use GPS. I pay $20 a month for unlimited data for the Garman I have in my car. Its just how it is. ATT says so. I also have a handheld GPS which I pay another $20 a month through ATT. Funny though...they seemed to work before I started the plans... must be a glitch by ATT (suckers!!!). I think when my contract is up I will ask if my GPS devices can be used on the 3G network. I know it would cost more but I want faster GPS service.

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Master Debater

macrumors member
Jul 30, 2008
We all know you need a data connection to use GPS. I pay $20 a month for unlimited data for the Garman I have in my car. Its just how it is.

Not all GPS systems do. I have one that uses pre-downloaded maps for GPS. It might not be as up-to-date, but it's still GPS. This is probably how Apple would make GPS available on the touch, if they ever wanted to do it.

adbe

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2008
We all know you need a data connection to use GPS. I pay $20 a month for unlimited data for the Garman I have in my car.

You do? Why? I have a Garmin in my car. I don't pay any service fees. I don't have a contract. It works just fine. Maybe I'm doing something wrong? Or maybe you don't understand what GPS is?

Real-time traffic updates are a value added service, and sure, you're gonna pay for them. A map and GPS is an entirely offline thing though. Kind of like how I don't pay a service charge to Sekonda to allow my wristwatch to work.

Mac-Addict

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2006
London
Edit: And what are the chances that we'll ever see an iPod touch with a hard drive instead of a flash drive?
Never. And I hope we never do see one. 1. A hard drive would be far to big to fit in one without making it a lot bigger. 2. Hard drives wear out over a short period of time in a portable device. 3. Quick movements stutter them.

California King

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2007
My guess of what the new iPod touch will have:

-Redesigned to look similar to 3G iPhone.
-Volume buttons
-Same storage capacity, but cheaper! (16GB at $329 / 32GB at $429) No more 8GB!
-Better LCD screen

I doubt we'll see anything that is not predictable. What I would like it to have is a speaker and camera, but highly doubt it!

reubs

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2006
I really hope it doesn't get redesigned to look like the new iphones. The plastic back looks tacky, and I'm sure it's not durable. I could care less about the chrome getting scratched; a scratch on chrome is better than a hairline crack in plastic casing.

I also don't really care about a camera. Bluetooth might be nice for syncing over the bluetooth connection on most Macs (or does it already do that?) to eliminate the need to open up iTunes to sync up the calendars and address books.

More storage and/or a lower price would obviously be nice, too.

benlee

macrumors 65816
Mar 4, 2007
My guess of what the new iPod touch will have:

-Redesigned to look similar to 3G iPhone.
-Volume buttons
-Same storage capacity, but cheaper! (16GB at $329 / 32GB at $429) No more 8GB!
-Better LCD screen

I doubt we'll see anything that is not predictable. What I would like it to have is a speaker and camera, but highly doubt it!

I really don't see them costing that much. I think we will see them at $299 and $399 at most.

branjosef

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2007
You do? Why? I have a Garmin in my car. I don't pay any service fees. I don't have a contract. It works just fine. Maybe I'm doing something wrong? Or maybe you don't understand what GPS is?

Real-time traffic updates are a value added service, and sure, you're gonna pay for them. A map and GPS is an entirely offline thing though. Kind of like how I don't pay a service charge to Sekonda to allow my wristwatch to work.

I was JOKING!!!!! :D:D:D:D I was just repeating what I've heard other people (who have no clue about how GPS works) in the forums say in reference to the touch incorporating GPS.

Vigilante

macrumors 6502a
Sep 11, 2007
Florida.
I have always wanted to remove the chrome backing on my iPod Touch. The chrome doesn't bother me as much as the Apple icon on the back-- that thing has always felt strange in my hand. My plan was to remove the chrome backing and add on a translucent neon lime green backing from one of my n64 controllers; but I don't know if it would stand up to the heat.
clothes100.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.