iPod touch requires iTunes account, registration

Discussion in 'MacBytes.com News Discussion' started by MacBytes, Sep 13, 2007.

1. macrumors bot

2. macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

And I already have one...

3. cgc
    macrumors 6502a

I wonder if users must register in response to Dateline's show on people who steal iPods and how easy it was for the television show to recover them with information the thieves used when they registered via a spoofed Apple registration tool Dateline had developed.

4. macrumors member

yeah, registering your ipod is just plain obnoxious. especially considering i just got my ipod back after being stolen last year, purely because i registered it.

5. macrumors 6502

Not a big deal. I wonder how many people will freak out about this that didn't pay cash for it.

6. macrumors 603

mrkramer

I'm guessing about one week for someone to hack it and make it avalible without an account.

7. Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

So does this mean that they won't sell the Touch in countries that don't have iTunes? What about if you don't have a credit card? I don't think all of the "iTunes countries" have those prepaid cards (I haven't seen them in NZ, but then again I haven't been looking).

8. macrumors P6

dukebound85

i have an itms account and i have never given my credit card number or a pre paid card.....

i dont see the issue

9. Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

When I created an NZ account, it wanted payment details before I could create the account. Is it different in the US?

10. macrumors regular

No, it ask me be4 when i set up my account(No iPod Touch). This is for the 1 click buy on iTMS.

11. macrumors P6

dukebound85

wierd. i remember i made an account in the days of free songs with pepsi. maybe you need to have a cc # now to get one???

12. macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    No, you just need some way of paying for a song.

If you've got a song code or a gift card, then you can set up an account and all you need is an address in that country - you can skip the credit card page.

If you're setting up an account without any iTMS credit, then it will ask you for a valid credit card/Paypal account before letting you create it.

13. macrumors P6

dukebound85

ok that is really really stupid. what if i dont want to provide that info and dont have itunes credit. honestly i wont buy songs from the ipod i can tell you that.

no way to get around this?

14. macrumors 68030

FF_productions

Just use a paypal account or a credit card and never buy anything from iTunes, it's as simple as that.

15. macrumors regular

cliffjumper68

Good call, if you do not register the iTouch then you also do not have support or a warranty.

16. macrumors 65816

me_94501

Ugh, mea culpa.... :eek:

So AppleInsider was actually able to get their hands on one of these bad boys and wrote a review: http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/07/09/13/ipod_touch_unpacking_tour_and_first_look_photos.html

They note that "Once plugged in correctly, iTunes asked me to register, but allowed me to skip that step and go to the typical setup page."

I have asked the writer for verification, and once I receive it I will issue an official correction.

As I noted in the article, I based this off of Apple documentation which states the following:
    That makes it sound like both are required, when it seems that only the registration is required.

Sorry for the confusion! :confused:

-Nick

17. macrumors regular

umm this is wrong cuz i have an ipod touch and no itms account and it didn't ask me to register for one either.

so clearly its wrong.

18. macrumors 65816

me_94501

19. macrumors 68040

shamino

Correct. An iTunes Store account doesn't require any payment info. You will, of course, need something (credit card, gift card, promo code, etc.) in order to pay for any purchases, but nothing of the sort is needed if you don't plan on buying any Store content. Payment info isn't needed for free downloads either, but an account is still required.

My account, for example, has never had a credit card on file, and never will. I used it for years solely for free songs and promo codes (from Pepsi caps). Today, there's a cash balance from gift cards - which is how I pay for songs when they're not free.
    See above. You can create an account without any payment info. You will be able to use it to access the Store and download free content. You can also use it to redeem promo/gift codes.

And, as we have since learned, an account is not needed to activate an iPod Touch. iTunes is required, but not a Store account.

20. macrumors member

Bump

Stuff seems to have changed. I was receiving the 'verify payment info' message until I gave in and bought a cheap gift card. I have a grand total of $0.23 left on my account, and it started giving me this obnoxious error again. Once again I cannot download free apps, or receive updates for apps that I have already paid for. Come on Apple, this is just plain ridiculous.