Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

madmaxmedia

macrumors 68030
Dec 17, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
I agree and to my point earlier, how many Touch owners will even realize that it is an issue if it really is? They might think its just normal. Unless there are any videophiles who can notice this right away, most people will just ignore it.

Yeah, I guess it depends on just how noticeable it actually is. I still haven't seen one with my own eyes yet. I do know the iPhone looks good to great to me, so hopefully the Touch will be similar (at least non-defective units or whatever, if there is a defect.)

jmpage2

macrumors 68040
Sep 14, 2007
Well, against my better judgement I just picked one up from the Aspen Grove store in CO.

Will post my thoughts (and possibly some photos of the issue) in a bit.

dog352

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2007
I just got my Ipod Touch today. The screen is a huge disappointment. Perhaps it wouldn't be bad if I never looked at the Iphone Screen. But the contrast is just way too up or something and everything appears darker than it should be. I think I may return this and go for the Archos 605

electricrenaiss

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2007
I just got my Ipod Touch today. The screen is a huge disappointment. Perhaps it wouldn't be bad if I never looked at the Iphone Screen. But the contrast is just way too up or something and everything appears darker than it should be. I think I may return this and go for the Archos 605
This is really bumming me out!

Compile 'em all

macrumors 601
Apr 6, 2005

How did you compare it to the iPhone? Do you own one or you did that in-store?

Scarpad

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2005
Ma
We were all sold on the touch by looking at the Iphone's screen. I went to the Apple Store and was wowed by the quality of the screen, we all assumed it would be the same screen and apparently it isn't, I'm wondering if I should cancel my order and go back to the store and check out an actual Touch screen.

electricrenaiss

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2007
We were all sold on the touch by looking at the Iphone's screen. I went to the Apple Store and was wowed by the quality of the screen, we all assumed it would be the same screen and apparently it isn't, I'm wondering if I should cancel my order and go back to the store and check out an actual Touch screen.

I already placed an order a few days ago but I agree with you. I think I might head over to the Apple store and check out the display as well and if these reports are true, I'll cancel my order. To me, the biggest reason I bought this is for video.

All the Touch owners on this forum, please post your opinion on how you feel about the display. I think it will help out a lot of people here. Thanks

RCGMac

macrumors regular
Aug 21, 2007
I will reply once I get home from work, damn running out for an early lunch to pick one up, now I have to wait to play :-(

TheSpaz

macrumors 604
Jun 20, 2005
Is it at least as good as the 5G iPod (video) screen as far as contrast and color or is it way worse than even that.

madmaxmedia

macrumors 68030
Dec 17, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
iLounge says that the screen looks as good or slightly better when viewed straight-on (similar to the PC Mag review). But at off angles, the blacks go negative faster.

Maybe someone with a Touch can comment on this? Does it look okay when you are viewing the screen straight on?

shoelessone

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2007
I am setting up a media wiki for the iPod Touch, so hopefully we will have some place to centralize reports, etc.

KnucklesMahone

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2007
Well after comparing the touch to the iphone today, i have to say that looking at it straight the touch is better, but at a angle it's the iphone. My friends iphone and my touch. I was gonna get the iphone, but i have a passionate hatred of AT&T and since i'm gonna hack the touch anyway, it was just a better purchase.

madmaxmedia

macrumors 68030
Dec 17, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
Well after comparing the touch to the iphone today, i have to say that looking at it straight the touch is better, but at a angle it's the iphone. My friends iphone and my touch. I was gonna get the iphone, but i have a passionate hatred of AT&T and since i'm gonna hack the touch anyway, it was just a better purchase.

Thanks for the detailed feedback, that's exactly what iLounge said. I wonder if this is why we are getting varied reports from people.

Is the viewing angle extremely tight, or is it just something you have to look at more or less head on? It doesn't sound like something that would bother me horribly.

KnucklesMahone

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2007
Thanks for the detailed feedback, that's exactly what iLounge said. I wonder if this is why we are getting varied reports from people.

Is the viewing angle extremely tight, or is it just something you have to look at more or less head on? It doesn't sound like something that would bother me horribly.

It's really not bad. To notice it, you have to know what your looking at. Unless your a real videophile, this is a minor issue.

K Wal

macrumors newbie
Sep 10, 2007
My 2 cents I've not seen a problem with mine's sceen, now I don't have an iPhone to judge it by. but it doesn't seem like a major problem to me

TheSpaz

macrumors 604
Jun 20, 2005
It's really not bad. To notice it, you have to know what your looking at. Unless your a real videophile, this is a minor issue.

My iPod 5G does this at certain angles... I don't mind it at all since I don't usually watch things at an angle. How much of an angle does there have to be in order to make it go "negative"?

teerexx52

macrumors 68020
May 1, 2005
Florida West Coast
My 2 cents I've not seen a problem with mine's sceen, now I don't have an iPhone to judge it by. but it doesn't seem like a major problem to me

I played identical videos on my iphone and my touch. My wife and I stared and stared and we can't see any difference at all in the two. Will try more later.

sblasl

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2004
Heber Springs, AR
iPhone Faster

The iLounge video comparing iPhone to the iPod Touch running Safari, and my own comparison shows that the iPhone is faster than the iPod Touch.

I wonder why?

gloss

macrumors 601
May 9, 2006
around/about
The iLounge video comparing iPhone to the iPod Touch running Safari, and my own comparison shows that the iPhone is faster than the iPod Touch.

I wonder why?

I did notice that the Touch felt slightly slow compared to what I remembered of my friend's iPhone.

OrangeCuse44

macrumors 65832
Oct 25, 2006
who's watching video on an angle with a touch anyway? if youre holding it, im sure no ones gunna think, "gee i could watch this straight on, but just for fun ill turn it so im watching on an angle to impair the black colors of my cinematic experience."

s57

macrumors member
Jan 9, 2007
I did notice that the Touch felt slightly slow compared to what I remembered of my friend's iPhone.

The iPhone was $300 more (for the same amount of memory) before they lowered the price point. They were probably making a good margin on that, but now they probably rely mostly on the revenue sharing with AT&T to make money with the iPhone. Since the iPod is still $100 cheaper, and they don't get any revenue sharing, I can't imagine that they use identical hardware in both (minus the BT, cell phone, and camera, which I doubt would run them $300) otherwise they'd losing money on the Touch.

Ergo: The Touch probably uses inferior hardware, which might explain why it's slower and why the screen might not be as nice (or it's just buggy software, of course...)

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
Everyone hold their horses...

I looked at the Touch at the store and compared to my iPhone it looks fine...

Come on, it's just an iPod for $299.

It's not a home theater, it's a MOBILE device!

(sarcasm) My new $299 iPhone has only 4Gigs, and I can't store the entire 10 seasons of Stargate SG-1 on it, I'm taking it back!!!

Go with the Zune, then...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.