iPod touch taps cause odd responses

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by caspersoong, Apr 10, 2011.

1. macrumors 6502a

Scoured Google and MacRumors for this issue, but couldn't find it. Sorry if there were previous posts discussing this issue. If I put my iPod touch on a surface, say, a table, then occasionally, when I tap it, it will interpret it as a tap elsewhere or as a pinch. I am completely sure my other fingers are not touching the glass surface. Recently, I discovered that if I hold the metal frame or back while tapping, the issue suddenly stops. If I stop holding the frame or back, the issue comes back. Does anyone else have the issue? Is it a hardware defect? Thank you.

Sorry for my bad English. I am not a native speaker of English.

2. macrumors regular

Your english isn't actually that bad XD.

Sounds like theres a short or something somewhere in the screen. Idk how touchscreens work unfortunately, but I'm assuming its possible for a short to be interpreted by the Touch as a pinch.

3. thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thank you so much for your reply. So it is an isolated case? I should be able to claim my warranty then. There are no Apple Stores in my country, so I am hesitating to pay the shipping fees to resolve this problem. However, it is really getting out of hand. I cannot use a case because of this problem. Interestingly, I noticed that my friend's iPad has this problem too. Thank you once again.