Ipod touch top button broken

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Reviresco, Jul 31, 2010.

1. macrumors newbie

Feb 13, 2010
    Basically i dropped it onto a stone floor with the brunt of the blow hitting the top left corner near the black screen on/off button. The ipod works occasionally and at other times flickers between the apple logo, the home screen, a white pulse and the circular loading thing. Even when it is working OK, since that top button is inoperable it is impossible to turn the bloody thing off so the battery just dies.

Any advice appreciated.

2. macrumors regular

Jun 9, 2010
    mine is broken too and is set to auto lock after 1 min or you can jailbreak your device and put SBSettings to lock your device from there anytime.
    (jailbreak using spirit so you dont need to use that broken button for jailbreak)
  3. celticpride678

Feb 15, 2009
    Boston, MA
    Take it in to Apple and see what they have to say.
  4. thread starter macrumors newbie

Feb 13, 2010
    I might try and open it to see if that clarifies the situation. No point in letting Apple charge me £££. Tried opening it earlier but not so easy, most videos suggest using some plastic leaver tool, but if someone can suggest a way to get the thing open without having to buy one?
  5. macrumors newbie

Oct 14, 2007
    Ever since my old iPod died on me, I've been forced to use my iPod touch (1st gen) fulltime. I've been hitting that home button like crazy cause there is no other way to skip to the next track nor change volume. The home button is officially not fuctioning. I thought about opening the thing aswel, but I'm scared for that fragile thing and I do not want to mess it up any more.

Anyways, while I was looking for a solution I stumbled upon an other thread here about how to open the iPod touch:

So yeah, you might wanna try that out, if that won't work, jailbreaking will help as Biker mentioned. Good luck :)
  6. macrumors 68020

May 29, 2010
    You could try prying it open and fixing it, selling it for parts on eBay, or letting Apple fix it.