Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Reviresco

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 13, 2010
Basically i dropped it onto a stone floor with the brunt of the blow hitting the top left corner near the black screen on/off button. The ipod works occasionally and at other times flickers between the apple logo, the home screen, a white pulse and the circular loading thing. Even when it is working OK, since that top button is inoperable it is impossible to turn the bloody thing off so the battery just dies.

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks

Biker

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2010
mine is broken too and is set to auto lock after 1 min or you can jailbreak your device and put SBSettings to lock your device from there anytime.
(jailbreak using spirit so you dont need to use that broken button for jailbreak)

Reviresco

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 13, 2010
I might try and open it to see if that clarifies the situation. No point in letting Apple charge me £££. Tried opening it earlier but not so easy, most videos suggest using some plastic leaver tool, but if someone can suggest a way to get the thing open without having to buy one?

ChiChi

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2007
Ever since my old iPod died on me, I've been forced to use my iPod touch (1st gen) fulltime. I've been hitting that home button like crazy cause there is no other way to skip to the next track nor change volume. The home button is officially not fuctioning. I thought about opening the thing aswel, but I'm scared for that fragile thing and I do not want to mess it up any more.

Anyways, while I was looking for a solution I stumbled upon an other thread here about how to open the iPod touch:

My daughter's IPOD TOUCH recently had the same issue with the Home button not working. I tried spraying a little bit of rubbing alcohol and using compressed air to clean it but no luck. Then I decided to do surgery on her IPOD, keeping my fingers crossed. First I ordered another home button, a new battery and the plastic tools to open the IPOD. Let me tell you that those plastic tools did not work for me. I broke three of them trying to open it and had to use a big flathead screwdriver while holding the IPOD wrapped with a towel so as not to scratch it. It took me a half-hour just to open it, those things are really hard to open.

https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/8929633/

So yeah, you might wanna try that out, if that won't work, jailbreaking will help as Biker mentioned. Good luck :)

liamkp

macrumors 68020
May 29, 2010
You could try prying it open and fixing it, selling it for parts on eBay, or letting Apple fix it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.