Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TaiO89

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 1, 2011
Hi, all
I've got the first generation iPod touch. I am not sure if the battery is dead or something. I cant turn it on at all if I dont plug it in. If I plug the charging cable in, I manage to get to the Apple logo, then after like 1 sec, it shuts down. What could be the issue? Do you think it's the battery or some other hardware issue?

Also, I have replaced the front screen like 3 years ago. I don't remember if the device stopped working after that.

I just want to get a diagnostics on what could be problem so I could buy the part and fix it myself.

Apple said it costs $150 to replace the 1st gen iPod touch, and $80 for the battery! I can find the battery on eBay for $2!!

Anyways, help would be much appreciated, thanks.

TaiO89

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 1, 2011
I'd rather repair this 1st gen iPod so I could use it for my car stereo. I already have an iPhone 5, no need to buy a new overpriced device.
I just wanna fix this iPod, but I dont know what exactly is the issue.

jmac3

macrumors newbie
Jan 8, 2013
sounds like a hardware issue, are you plugging into a wall adapter? start with the most simple problem iliminations, make sure its not your usb cable, try another cable, try another wall adapter, try cleaning out your docking port with acetone or the highest % alcohol you can get. Then try DFU restore. If all that fails and you know how to dissect it, you really need a multi meter. test the battery contacts. your pc wont even reconize the device until 3.7v are present at the battery solder pads.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.