iPod Touch video capture?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by TheBattleOx, Nov 8, 2008.

1. macrumors newbie

Hey everyone. I am a part of a gaming review site, and recently there has been a call for people to review iPod touch games and since I have a ton I would like to do that. I was wondering two things:

Is there a program on the iPod touch I can use to record video of itself.

Or, if there is a way to project what is happening on the iPod touch onto a computer screen (because then I could just record that)

Instead of video, I have been using the screenshot capability but I would really like to do some video.

2. macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Not sure if you can do that. Most game review sites and even the videos posted on Macrumors with app store games just have an external camera to record the iPhone/iPod touch. Majority developers demo the app with an iPhone 3G.

3. macrumors 604

there is no video-in port on the iPod Touch, so no way to get input there.

4. macrumors 65816

mackmgg

if you can find a way to install the apps on the iphone simulator, you can record from that, but as far as i no u need 2 use an external camera to record videos on the ipod

5. macrumors newbie

Hm i see, not to be a smart*** but, if you are reviewing games for an iPod touch, many of which include MOVEMENT on the actual iPod. Even if there was a program that recorded video on the iPod, the viewer would not see you shaking/tilting/moving the iPod. So really all you would record was the game and you could only discuss quality, etc.
    Just something you should consider

6. macrumors newbie

I know how you can do it... no app required

I know how you can do it... no app required. Get one of those video/audio output cords (for connecting ipod to tv) that goes into the jack in the bottom, then plug that into a capture card, which you would then plug into the TV. use the capture card to record what you see on the TV. all the stuff u need plus a GIANT SCREEN.

7. macrumors newbie

The AV Output cables do not display the ipod during use of all apps. Most use you can get is from the Videos on your ipod, or pictures. Games, apps and other uses will not be displayed to a TV via video cables. If your iDev is jailbroken, you can get ScreenSplitr from Cydia, which will mirror everything you do on the ipod/iphone to a TV via the AV cables, but even then, the frame-rate suffers, and is not sufficient for recording game-play.