iPod touch & Video Out Help...

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by billabong, Nov 26, 2007.

1. macrumors 6502

Hey,

I recently just bought the genuine iPod universal dock, and picked up a cord on eBay..
    http://cgi.ebay.ca/Retractable-TV-AV-Composite-Cable-for-APPLE-IPOD-VIDEO_W0QQitemZ180184685930QQihZ008QQcategoryZ48680QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
    Well it doesn't work, i get audio but no video. The seller says it will work with the touch, classic, and new nano. But I don't get anything with my touch.. Can someone please help me out here, is there something I'm doing wrong? How does the video out on the touch work?

2. macrumors regular

Did you connect the cable right? It's possible that you only connected the audio to the TV... otherwise it's either an iPod or Dock defect.

Shep

3. thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes everything was connected... The iPod didn't do anything different, almost like it might not recognize the cable? Does something popup when you plugin for video out on the iPod touch?

4. macrumors 6502a

dan-o-mac

5. thread starter macrumors 6502

That sucks the ones of bought off ebay says they would work. Guess I'm getting a refund then :)... That sucks, $50 for something that used to work before with cheaper cables....

6. macrumors 604

TheSpaz

It doesn't suck. Apple upgraded the iPod touch to be able to display higher resolution video on the video-out. So it doesn't suck, it's just better now so the old crappy cables don't work anymore. Sorry.

7. macrumors regular

The chip in the cable has nothing to do with video quality and everything to do with ensuring that only Apple-approved accessories will work with the iPod touch. $49 for a dock + $49 for a composite video out cable? And another $49 if you want the component cable? What a joke.

Read:

http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/ipod/review/11593/

8. macrumors 604

TheSpaz

Actually the new cables allow the iPod to output 576i video resolution where previously it was only able to do 480i with regular composite cables. http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APP.../ipod_accessories/cables_docks&nplm=MB128LL/A

Plus, I think component cables produce better video quality than composite cables.

9. macrumors 6502a

dan-o-mac

That's great if you want higher resolution, but why lock out people who already purchased the old cable. Why bundle it with a charger, to make the overpriced cable seem more attractive? I think it's a move based on pure greed.

10. macrumors 604

TheSpaz

Whatever the reason is... who cares? Use your old iPod for video then! I think Apple was thinking about the future and HDTVs

11. macrumors 6502a

dan-o-mac

I care! I do not have an old video iPod, I do not want to buy another set of cables bundled with accessories I already have. You don't get it, the chip in the cable has nothing to do with the output quality, it's an authentication chip nothing more.

12. macrumors 68030

People have 'tricked' the new iPods into playing video with older accessories by first plugging it in a new dock, starting a video, then taking the iPod out and plugging it into an older accessory.

So yeah, it' all about the cheese.

13. macrumors 604

TheSpaz

Never thought of trying that... interesting.... By the way, I was only stating what I "heard" and not what I knew for a fact. I just assumed... sorry.

14. macrumors 68030

Well, Apple isn't exactly making it easy for us to figure it all out... ;)

15. macrumors newbie

...Have u tried going to settings - video and changing the video out to NTSC?