Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

underaothfan1:D

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 1, 2011
I've had a iPhone 3G for about a year now, and for Christmas I really want a iPod Touch or Classic... now I have a iPod Touch 1G as well, and I've also had a nano 3G so I know the basic stuff of and iPod Classic. But what I wanted to know was is there any thing that great about the new Touch that's a "must have", if not I'll buy a Classic, but just wanted to get some input from some of ya'll.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Do you have more than 64GB of music in your library?

Yes, buy the classic.

No, buy the touch.

That more or less sums it up. Basically, if you have a large music library, and if you like to listen to music a lot, get a classic.

I have both a classic 80GB and the iTouch 64GB; I use both mainly for music as I like to have my entire music library with me when I travel - which is often.

Obviously, the iTouch allows you to do more, and the SSD is a lot faster (and more stable) than the HDD in the old classic (the HDD of two of my classics - the 30GB model - died while still under warranty, and were replaced without a problem); but if your main need is for a solid capacious music player, then the classic remains an excellent device.

Cheers

Cartaphilus

macrumors 6502a
Dec 24, 2007
iCloud may affect your decision, even if you have a large music library, since any time you have connectivity you can now listen to your entire collection in 256 kbps on your iPhone.

You might also want to consider one of the relatively new hard drives with wifi adapters, e.g. http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/products/external/external-hard-drive/goflex-satellite.

I love my 160 GB Classic (which is plugged into my car radio), but depending on your needs, something else may be a better fit for you, even if your music/photo/video collection is extensive.

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 1, 2011
I have about 15 gigs of music, but that's not the main reason I am leaning towards a classic. See, I'm also getting a MacBook and I have bought a good many TV Shows/Movies but had to delete them because of space on our harddrive. But know since I'll have my own laptop I would have more than enough to re-download those things. And Cartaphilus... I've heard about iCloud, but if it was possible I would love to have my entire library with me at all times,

Thanks for the replies

irishtike

macrumors member
Mar 9, 2011
i have both, the Touch is only 8gb and the Classic is 160. i only have about 7gb of music total, but i have tons of Scrubs episodes, Psych episodes and Movies. so the Touch is mainly an App ipod with 2-3 playlists. the classic holds everything, i use it mainly for trips or driving, all my music and the videos in one.

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 1, 2011
irishtike, this is what I was planning on doing, but was just making sure there wasn't anything superomegaawesome about the Touch or iOS 5 which I just couldn't live without.

On another note, have any of you with a classic had any problems with it? such as the harddrive crashing or anything?

mobilehaathi

macrumors G3
Aug 19, 2008
The Anthropocene
irishtike, this is what I was planning on doing, but was just making sure there wasn't anything superomegaawesome about the Touch or iOS 5 which I just couldn't live without.

On another note, have any of you with a classic had any problems with it? such as the harddrive crashing or anything?

I've had my 60GB iPod classic for nearly 6 years, and the only hardware failure I've experienced was about 3 months ago when the headphone jack stopped working. It otherwise still works great through the dock connector.

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 1, 2011
Alright guys, I think I'm pretty much set with getting the classic, one more thing... if i have a season of "The Office" on DVD, what would be the best and easiest way of getting this on my iPod?

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 1, 2011
I've heard of handbrake, and i've read some stuff about it. But some people say you have to run it through other software first, others say you don't have to.. just trying to figure it out now so i won't have to later

mobilehaathi

macrumors G3
Aug 19, 2008
The Anthropocene
I've heard of handbrake, and i've read some stuff about it. But some people say you have to run it through other software first, others say you don't have to.. just trying to figure it out now so i won't have to later

You aren't required to rip your DVDs with another program, but you can and then only use handbrake for encoding. I typically don't bother because it is simple and works well enough for me to do everything with handbrake.

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 1, 2011
Alright, thanks for the tip!

and thanks to everyone else thats commented, all of you have been very helpful:)

DUCKofD3ATH

Suspended
Jun 6, 2005
Universe 0 Timeline
I went though several iPod classics because of dropping them and other careless acts that bollixed up the disk drives.

Hence I love the iPod touch because it has no major moving parts to break. The one I have now gets dropped regularly--often and hard enough that I have to buy new headsets about every three months--but it's still working great.

ZachsMacDaddy

macrumors 6502
Dec 24, 2007
Maryland
I went with an iPad and a 120GB Classic. I had a 32GB touch but the screen is too small to enjoy as a regular use device for apps (for me, others are quite happy with it).

My collection is well over 64GB, so the Classic just made sense. Getting a great one on craigslist for $50 was a bonus.

I have watched videos on the Classic. It's hard on the eyes, but it can be done. Usually I have my iPad for apps, videos, surfing and my iPod for my music collection.

MattA

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2006
Orlando, FL
Obviously, the iTouch allows you to do more, and the SSD is a lot faster (and more stable) than the HDD in the old classic (the HDD of two of my classics - the 30GB model - died while still under warranty, and were replaced without a problem); but if your main need is for a solid capacious music player, then the classic remains an excellent device.

Cheers

I've actually found the HDD to be a lot faster than either of my iPhones or my Touch. Remember, the Touch/iPhone doesn't use an SSD, but flash memory. Once the HDD is spun up, it's going to copy data at much faster speeds than flash memory.

That said, flash memory is a lot more reliable and isn't as prone to failure as a HDD. Lack of moving parts is a good thing.

IMO, if you're using your device for audio and the occasional video, and you have a lot of media, the classic is an excellent choice. The Touch is great too, but the limited and expensive storage make it less attractive unless you're into apps.

Good choice on the classic/iPad combo :)

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I've actually found the HDD to be a lot faster than either of my iPhones or my Touch. Remember, the Touch/iPhone doesn't use an SSD, but flash memory. Once the HDD is spun up, it's going to copy data at much faster speeds than flash memory.

That said, flash memory is a lot more reliable and isn't as prone to failure as a HDD. Lack of moving parts is a good thing.

IMO, if you're using your device for audio and the occasional video, and you have a lot of media, the classic is an excellent choice. The Touch is great too, but the limited and expensive storage make it less attractive unless you're into apps.

Good choice on the classic/iPad combo :)

Fair comment. As I have a MBA, I had confused the SSD drive of the MBA with the flash drive of the iTouch, sloppy thinking on my part.

However, I will point out that the HDD of the classic (especially some of the older models), is a lot less stable than the flash drive of the Touch. I had two iPods - classics, die on me - HDD failure - while still under warranty; they were replaced without a quibble, which impressed me. At the time, staff told me that up to 10% of all classics had HDD 'issues'. Nonetheless, I have yet to hear of anyone suffering from a flash drive failure with the Touch - a recent thread on this forum asked that very question and nobody replied in the affirmative.

Having said that, I'm still a fan of the classic; if you get a good one (and my current one is a solid 80GB) it's a great device, especially for someone who has a large music library.

Cheers

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.