iPod touch wi-fi at school?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by nlivo, Sep 8, 2007.

1. macrumors 6502a

Yes i am a youngen...anyway, the way my school's network is all the computers (PC's) you have a login screen to get onto them and every student has an account and so i was wondering if i could access the internet on my iPod touch because i would need to type in a username and password? anyone have an iPhone and know how it works?

2. macrumors 601

gloss

Should work fine. I believe this is the sort of thing Steve was talking about when he discussed the uselessness of Wi-Fi without a web browser.

3. thread starter macrumors 6502a

but we don't sign in on the comouters using a browser, we sign in on the actual computer. How would i do this in a browser??

4. macrumors member

Most schools have security on their Wi-Fi, but if they don't, you should be good to get it set up. You will not have to log in, as that login is for the Windows network, and won't do anything with an iPhone.

5. macrumors 601

No, you will likely have to enter in the encryption password on the network. And I don't think that your school's IT office would be willing to share it with you (unless you are a college student).

6. macrumors regular

Like others have said, the login on the 'puters is for your windows account, not just to use the network. At my HS we have Wifi in the library that anyone can use. Just ask a staffer at your school about wifi access (I would not mention the iPod tho ;))

7. macrumors regular

It will work if you guys dont have a password on your browser. 2 years ago we just needed a password to get in, but they had no way of tracking which kid did it if they went onto inapporpriate sites or went on myspace. Now when you launch the web broswer you have to type in the same user name and pw so if you do something wrong online,t hey will know which student did that.

If your school doesnt have that you should be fine.

1 more year for me then at michigan state with wifi all over the place, the touch will be the most used thing over there.

8. macrumors 6502a

Stang68

I go to Quinnipiac University and I had the same question yesterday. I went to our Computer help desk and asked the guys there is I would be able to hook up to the Wifi with the touch (which they had heard about). They said if it is the same wireless as the MBP I have then I should be fine. I told them the touch runs on OS X and they said everything will work. The way the touch works is that it will automatically search for a network and then all you have to do is put in your school username and password. I cant wait for this because then i can browse on the entire campus!

9. thread starter macrumors 6502a

sweet, sounds ok then. I'm not going to be concentrating in class much then when i get my iPod touch!!! haha. All these regular kids all try and sneak their iPod headphones up their jumpers, ill just have a whole internet browser in my lap!! damn i'm cool. haha.

10. macrumors 6502a

sblasl

Don't be surprised if schools lock out the iPod Touch for many reasons. Cheating & distraction are 2 that come to mind immediately. I wouldn't be surprised if school boards & admins have policies in place before these things even hit the streets.They'll have the IT folks blocking this device quicker than you say ABC.

11. macrumors regular

wow, never thought about that...lame

is there any way around it?

I go to the School of Visual Arts in NYC so my school is nothing but Mac's, so they would obviusly know about this...

Actually i almost drooled all over myself last week when i walked into the design lab and i saw close to a hundred brand new mac pro boxes...went to this first computer, checked out what kind of power they had, quad-core xeons at 3.0ghz

and even a FEW 8-CORE MODELS:eek:

12. macrumors 604

zap2

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

And no, it still might not work.

My school has Wi-Fi all over, I brought my laptop, no dice, need a password. Ask for the password, one of the head IT people is nice, so she gives it to me, nothing. She says she need to add my on their end of the whole network, but that she isn't allowed to. :(

And FireFox/IE don't need a password to work on my school PCs, so ll PiStoNs ll is mistaken.

13. macrumors 6502a

sblasl

Nice school ! Very fortunate to have new equipment with that kind of power. Sounds like they weren't too concerned about the graphic card.:rolleyes:

I know that local school boards around here are already addressing the iPhone WiFi on their systems and the iPod Touch will be addressed as well.

14. macrumors 68040

synth3tik

The main reason of the browser on the Touch is so that people can access those primitive Wifi networks that use browser log ins.

My college has a "cell Killer" and Wifi only works in the library, so it sound like you are lucky.

15. macrumors regular

I have wifi hotspots all through different buildings in my school...and being in NYC, everytime i sign onto the network i have to search through a good 30 networks, its crazy, im sure one of them will work:)

16. macrumors 6502

DMC-12

My university requires downloaded software to login to their network on the dorm wi-fi. I'm assuming that the iPod touch wouldn't work then because it won't be able to install and run the software?

17. macrumors 65816

BiikeMike

A "cell killer"?!???

18. macrumors regular

I think he is talking about the (illegal, I might add) cellphone signal disrupters. Block cell hone signals.

19. macrumors 65816

BiikeMike

I realized that, and my surprise was that they actually had one!

20. macrumors 6502a

Very reasonable in a library. I loathe people who are talking in the library when I'm busy studying.

21. macrumors 65816

iCantwait

just want to put this out there, FIREFOX PORTABLE from www.portableapps.com gets past my schools web-marshal. i think safari would too but i cant get it to work.

GETTING MY TOUCH TO WATCH YOUTUBE IN ENGLISH!!!!!:D

22. macrumors 68020

iMJustAGuy

your school most likely does not have wi-fi. The way you are describing log on is a high school. Am I correct?

23. macrumors regular

Sounds like my school and there is no general wi-fi network. Some of the departments have their own so you could check for that but it's spotty around the school

24. Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Will the iPod touch be able to handle proxies?

25. thread starter macrumors 6502a

all the desktop's connect via ethernet but the school has wi-fi so the teachers take their laptops to different classes and can connect to the internet. so it has wi-fi. I'm just wondering if i'll be able to connect to it using my login name (every student has a login name and password, its there first name and the first letter of their last name)??????