iPod Touch - wifi over Airport Express?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Simon R., Sep 6, 2007.

1. macrumors 6502

Sep 25, 2006

Now that the iPod Touch has wifi, does anyone know if it is possible to playback music to the Airport Express, just like you can do from iTunes on a MacBook? That would be really cool as it would be sort of like a remote control for playing music on your stereo wirelessly - even more so if it can playback shared iTunes libraries from PC's/Mac's :)
  2. macrumors member

Aug 30, 2006
    been wondering about that myself... of course using the touch as an appleTV remote would be equally cool :D
  3. macrumors regular

Mar 14, 2006
    I've been waiting for this for a while... I think the answer is still no:(
  4. macrumors 68040

Jan 24, 2005
    St. Louis, MO
    You can't play music on an iPhone through an Airport Express, so there is no reason to think that you would from the iPod Touch. However, there are several web-based utilities that let you use the iPhone as a remote for a computer playing over the AE. Those utilities allow you to select a specific song, do a search, change playlists, add songs similar to an "on the go" playlist...
  5. macrumors newbie

Sep 6, 2007
    With out the album art, and pod cast features on the iPod Touch, streaming to an Airport would be kind of a weak feature.

Seems to me that if Apple had made this iPod more of an iPod that runs iTunes, and not an iPod that just runs another iPod OS; the Touch would be even more well received.

Maybe someone will make a nice little app that can do this under the hood...
  6. macrumors newbie

Sep 5, 2007
    Is this right? I just asked this to someone on the apple helpline - they said they didn't know, and went and asked technical help, who said you could. she may not have known what she was talking about, i suppose. Can anyone give a definitive answer??
    Makes a big difference to me. if the answer is yes, i'll get a touch, otherwise i'll just get a classic i think...