Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LGShepherd

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 27, 2007
Teesside, United Kingdom
Hi guys!

sorry if this is a dumb question. I have been waiting for the iPod touch seen the rumors started flying and my previous iPod 2G broke a while ago so i never got to use any functions other than playing music.

My question is, will the calendar/address book update with M$ outlook? Unfortunately, the company I work for use horrible Dell machines and windows XP, but i do use my calendar a lot for meetings etc so it would be nice if i could sync all my calendar entries with the iPod touch.

thanks in advance

Liam

shoelessone

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2007
I'm pretty sure you can output your outlook calander in a format that iTunes might be able to handle, though I've never done it and I'm sure you'll get more helpful answers in a second anyway :)

Ninden

macrumors member
Sep 7, 2005
Rochester, New York
That brings up an interesting point. Perhaps any windows users with even current iPods could shed some light. Can the calender and contacts even be used from the windows side? From a mac they sync from iCal and Address Book respectively, but are these features reachable from windows?

I have a suspicion that the answer is no, given that iTunes itself does not have calendering/address book functions. This, however, means windows users are even worse off with the calender feature reduction. That really sucks...
Can anyone with a current iPod and windows confirm the usability of calender and contacts?

-EDIT-
And that's what I get for not doing my research. Taken from Apple's site:

"Sync thousands of photos to your iPod including, in most cases, your photo albums and the music from your slideshows. Compatible with Mac OS X Address Book and iCal, iTunes also syncs contacts via Outlook Express or calendars and contacts via Outlook for the PC."

LGShepherd

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 27, 2007
Teesside, United Kingdom
thanks for your reply Ninden!

i should have checked the apple site in the first place!

i probably will not use this function, but it's always nice to have if i ever really need it!

thanks again!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.