iPod touch won't open iTunes anymore

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by bungiefan89, Aug 7, 2011.

1. macrumors 6502a

Not sure what the exact cause is, but ever since I updated my iPod touch (4g) to iOS 4.3.5, iTunes won't open up automatically when I plug in my iPod touch. Either that, or it's related to the latest updated version of iTunes. Unchecking and then rechecking the box for "Open iTunes when this iPod is connected" did not solve the issue.

Anyone else having this problem?

2. macrumors 6502a

Be sure after you check the box, you click the Apply button.

3. thread starter macrumors 6502a

Already did that before. Did it again just now just to make sure. Still won't open iTunes when it's connected.

4. macrumors 6502a

Uinstall then re-install iTunes.

5. macrumors member

You didn't mention if you were connecting your iPod to a Mac or Windows box.

If Windows, then the likely culprit is the Apple Mobile Device Driver, or Windows Device Driver or whatever they're calling it now. Uninstall it, uninstall iTunes, then reinstall iTunes - the driver will be included.

If Mac, first thing I'd check is the System Profiler (or System Information in Lion) to see if the iPod is actually being seen on the USB bus. If so, then it's most likely a driver issue - the kernel extension, or kext, for the iPod. A reinstall of iTunes should address this as well.

6. thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeah, I'm having the problem on my iMac. But I've just found out I'm also experiencing the same problem when I connect the iPod to my Macbook... which leads me to believe that the problem lies with the iPod itself rather than the iTunes I have on both computers.

Nonetheless, I'm still willing to go through with reinstalling iTunes by following these steps here if it comes down to it, though I'd prefer not to go through all that effort...

7. macrumors 6502a

Just uninstall then reinstall, takes only about 10 to 15 minutes.

8. macrumors member

Could be the iPod, could be the sync cable. I'd check the dock connector on the iPod and make sure none of the pins are bent or there isn't trash clogging the port. I've used an unbent paperclip to sweep around the port to fish out dust balls and trash. Try a different USB cable too, if you haven't already. Third would be to force a reboot of the iPod and then see if it mounts. Hold down the home and power buttons until the Apple logo appears, then release and let it boot normally.

9. macrumors member

If your iPod still appears in iTunes, then it might be the program's issue. Although I have had similar issues when my sync cable was a little messed up, but it was visibly damaged for me.

10. thread starter macrumors 6502a

The web page I linked to solved the problem, and once again iTunes starts up when I plug in my iPod touch. Thanks for the help, though!