iPod touch won't restore...URGENT need help ASAP!!!

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by The Pimp King, Nov 25, 2007.

1. macrumors newbie

"The iPod 'iPod' could not be restored. An unknown error occured (1604)"

PPPPPPPLLLLEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAASSSSSSSEEEEEEEEEEEEE

help, need it done before half seven.

2. macrumors member

Right, something similar happened to me. Connect your ipod, then hold the home button and the power button untill the ipod turns off, it will start up again, let go of the power button but keep holding the home button. A message should pop up in itunes.

3. thread starter macrumors newbie

I do that, though the box that comes up tells me i need to restore my ipod. which i cant do :c

4. macrumors newbie

5. macrumors 6502

Draythor

Try restoring to an earlier version (there are guides for this somewhere on these forums)
    1.1.1 usually works.
    Try rebooting iTunes

6. macrumors newbie

restarted itunes.
    Tried to restore to 1.1.1
    tried to restore to 1.1.2

no success.Can anyone help??

7. macrumors 65816

Follow this step by step. If need be. Do it a couple of times. It will work.

open iTunes
    -plug the iPod into the computer
    -hold both sleep/wake and home button until iPod restarts.
    -let go of of the sleep/wake button when you see Apple logo.
    -continue to hold home button until iTunes pops up with recovery mode
    -click yes, and your iPod will be restored to its factory settings.

8. macrumors newbie

iv tried it a few dozen times.Ill continue to but may i ask if there is a known cause of this problem?Would it help if i restarted my pc?

9. macrumors member

my ipod wont restore either.
    after i jailbreaked it and the first time i plugged it in to sync my music, itunes showed up with " This ipod cannot be used because the required software is not installed. Run the iTunes installer to remove iTunes, then install iTunes again."

and ive already uninstalled and installed itunes again

help!!!

10. macrumors newbie

update

restarted comp an tried again.Success!!

11. macrumors newbie

Still nothing...

I've tried to restore at least 20 times, and every time it stops due to an unknown error. I've tried to restart Itunes, to no avail. Anyone know what to do?! I'm going crazy here...

12. PMB
    macrumors 65816

PMB

google is your best friend.
    http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=307007

13. macrumors newbie

14. macrumors newbie

I am an iphone developer and i just tried to install beta 3.0 on my touch and it didn't work. I have itunes 8.2 beta but for some reason 3.0 wiped everything when i restored including itself. I tried to restore but it wont because there's no software to extract. It has the same screen as when you first open it. any ideas why?

15. macrumors 6502

have you seen the date on this thread?! :rolleyes:

16. macrumors newbie

Ugh !!!!!!!!!!!

first of all i did all 5 requirments for this BS and all it says is ( an unknown error occured (20) ) and it would not let me restore. My Itouch is now locked and i cant use it so now its useless SMH

-plug the iPod into the computer
    -hold both sleep/wake and home button until iPod restarts.
    -let go of of the sleep/wake button when you see Apple logo.
    -continue to hold home button until iTunes pops up with recovery mode
    -click yes, and your iPod will be restored to its factory settings.

17. macrumors newbie

thanks =D

-thanks dude... it does work somebody locked my ipod lol, so i had to sort it somehow. i figured it had something to do with both buttons... so thanks.

18. macrumors newbie

I Need Help!

OK so i jail broke my ipod touch 3g 3.1.2. and when i connected it to the computer it said i had to restore it for it tou work. so i clicked restore and it starts to download the software update and then it says there was a problem downloading it. im scared PLLLLEEASE HELP ME!

19. macrumors newbie

i had the same problem, my ipod just shut off one day and when i tried to turn it back on it just came up with the apple logo and wouldnt turn on. all you need to do is update your version of itunes and then restore the ipod. unfortunately for me my imac's hardrive failed several weeks before, so my ipod wasnt backed up and i lost everything i had on it :/.

20. macrumors newbie

Over night the other night I hit download ALL for app updates on my touch, when I got up in the morning my icons were in the wrong places. So I was messing around on iTunes for a bit then saw the "encrypt backups" so I hit that and it started to backup, I hit cancel.

Little while later I get this bright idea to "restore" my iPod since it had backed up the day before. So I tried to restore it.

Then I get unknown error (-27) when it tries to "restore" the ipod from the "Set up your iPod screen." I select the backup file from the correct date and hit continue and then the error message comes up.

Any Ideas?

I've tried updating iTunes I was on ver. 9.?? now I'm current. Also my iPod was on ver before 3.1.3 before I tried restoring. I've also restarted the computer and tried a different USB port though I'm plugged right into the PC running XP media center. Trying messing with Msconfig as well.

21. macrumors 68020

liamkp

Ive heard alot of good thing about this yes it works for ipod touch too. :rolleyes:

22. macrumors newbie

Ipod won't restore!!! :(

I'm having a problem with my ipod... It won't restore! I have the updated version on itunes... I don't know what else to do! Help please!!!!

23. macrumors 68020

liamkp

Tried this?

24. macrumors newbie

25. macrumors newbie