iPod Touchscreen video

Discussion in 'iPod' started by rainmanbk, Feb 9, 2006.

1. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Hmm, where have I seen this before? Oh yeah, that's right. Here. :)

2. rainmanbk thread starter macrumors 6502

rainmanbk

CRAP CRAP CRAP CRAP CRAP.. THAT TOOK ME LIKE AN HOUR TO DRAW...

Why did I even bother...

Not like Apple would make you flip the ipod sideways... My idea is much cooler.

3. eclipse525 macrumors 6502a

eclipse525

Hey, good job. It was worth the hour. Some people don't accomplish anything in a days time, let alone an hour. <LOL!>

PS-> Despite the nay-sayers, this most likely will be the direction they will take the iPod. Unless they perfect the Holograph or Flexible Display <BIG SMILE>

~e

4. rainmanbk thread starter macrumors 6502

rainmanbk

As much as I hate to admit it.. the "touchwheel" will definitely be displayed at the bottom of the iPod when held vertically. I don't htink it's very logical to turn it everytime a movie plays, but then again its pretty illogical to go back on all those years of the iPod being vertical.

I do wonder what the screen will be made out of? The glossy finish will not do.

5. Lurk macrumors member

Same here.. I was wondering what the screen will be made of. It has to be something that wouldn't get scratched up just with normal use.

6. SpookTheHamster macrumors 65816

SpookTheHamster

Read the front page, there's apparently some new coating they've got for it.

One thing that concerns me is that they're keeping the same form factor, which will probably mean a smaller battery. My 5G can barely handle 2hrs of video, are they expecting people to walk around with a car battery plugged into the dock to keep this thing running?

7. rainmanbk thread starter macrumors 6502

rainmanbk

Well scratches yeah, but what about all that oil that comes off your hands onto the iPod?!?! I don't know about you, but when I look at that pretty chrome backside, somehow my face is always distorted through the greased up reflection. Can they make it scratch-proof and oilyhands-proof?

:confused:

8. aswitcher macrumors 603

aswitcher

Nice.

I still wonder if 3.5" screen is too small. But what really bugs me is that a touch sensitive screen this can be a fully fledged PDA... I would like to see more in the patents about inputing contact info, calender etc

9. steve_hill4 macrumors 68000

steve_hill4

Most are talking about it fitting in the current 5G form factor, which will surely put it beyond 3.5" anyway. Remember, the current screens are 2.5", so adding that click wheel, as in your rendered images, would mean both the visable menu screen and click wheel will be smaller than they are now.

As an estimate, I would say it would work out at closer to 4.5-5" in 16:9 ratio. In fact, without having one to hand, (and using the 16:9 assumption and envelope maths), I come up with a figure of about 4.4" widescreen, which seems about right.

10. eclipse525 macrumors 6502a

eclipse525

forget the wheel on screen! I can totally see the controls on the edge of the metal casing. the casing itself being touch sensitive and ofcourse the most important feature on the iPod, "the HOLD switch!" <LOL>

11. ToastMaster macrumors regular

ToastMaster

This is all well and good but I really wonder about the logistics of it. Sure I'm all for a 3.5" screen, but what about battery life? I can see a huge backlit screen like this looking like a million dollars, but sucking twice the power of the current iPod screen. Apple had better amp up their batteries if they really want to make this work.

12. Vader macrumors 65816

Vader

Think PSP battery life.
    ~2-3 hours watching movies.

13. Oryan macrumors 6502a

Oryan

I was thinking something more like this.

14. Vader macrumors 65816

Vader

LOL fiPod
    iPod meets fusion.

15. eclipse525 macrumors 6502a

eclipse525

Ha! Now that sounds like a plan!

For now, just build the thing and worry about battery life later. Just buy an extra battery or an extra charger. Problem solved. <LOL>

16. ToastMaster macrumors regular

ToastMaster

Well, I like watching 2+ hour movies on my 30gig 5g, so I got an Audio Outfitters iPod Powerstick. Works great - for now at least.

17. bluedrew22 macrumors newbie

bluedrew22

:) lol i made something like that on my comp...:)

18. Kingsly macrumors 68040

Kingsly

What if Apple used OLED displays? they use little power (no backlight) and are becoming more commercially available. I believe one of the iPod look-alikes use an OLED screen.

Also...