Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bigevilalien

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 25, 2008
Chicago, IL
So here's the deal:

I won an 80gb iPod classic and a 1gb shuffle in an online contest. The problem is, I have no need or desire for either of these and I really want a 32gb touch to replace my current 30gb video.

They're both sealed in their original packaging and everything, so I'm wondering if I would be able to take them to Best Buy or the Apple Store and exchange them for store credit ;) towards the touch despite the fact that I have no receipts (Best Buy would be nice because I have gift cards there).

Does anybody have any advice on this or am I going to have to sell these things on ebay to get cash for them :mad:?

Thanks in advance!

MattyMac

macrumors 68000
Oct 6, 2005
NJ/NYC
Apple won't take the return if it wasn't bought at an apple store. I had the problem. I bought an iPod touch from someone who won it at work around christmas time. I tried to return it to an apple store so I could purchase the 80 gb classic. I didn't have the receipt, so they looked it up in their system and told me it was purchased at a best buy so I couldn't return it there. I never tried to take it to best buy, but I'm sure they would have returned it. I still have it...sealed :D

Take it too an apple store, if it was bought there, you won't have a problem.

mallbritton

macrumors 65816
Nov 26, 2006
Most retail stores won't give credit for merchandise that wasn't purchased from them, and they certainly won't do it if you don't have a receipt.

Regards,
Michael

techlover828

macrumors 68020
Jun 28, 2007
Maine
ya, your probably going to get stuck selling them, however you should get near retail since they are sealed.

TimJim

macrumors 6502a
May 15, 2007
Sell it to a friend, The Marketplace here, eBay, or Craigslist.

Apple Store won't take it without a receipt, and Best Buy won't either i'm pretty sure.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.