Ipod transfer

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by nickarmadillo, Aug 13, 2004.

1. nickarmadillo macrumors regular

Jan 24, 2003
    St. Louis, MO
    Ok, I have a slight problem. I have a rather large (25 gig) music collegction that I need to tranfer to my laptop before I go to college. The desktop that I have all my music on now is a mac and the laptop that I am taking is a PC. I also have a 10 gig ipod (not windows compatable) How would I go about transferring all those mp3s to my PC and would the tags (ie artist, title, album info) transfer? Would my ipod still be able to hook up to the pc?
  2. jtgotsjets macrumors 6502

May 20, 2004
    Lawrence, KS
    I had the exact same problem (well, in reverse, taking a Mac laptop, but all my stuff was on a PC desktop, not compatible with an iPod).

The best way, I think, is to buy a router and network the suckers. Routers aren't that expensive (certainly less so than a decent sized portable hard-drive solution).

EDIT: Alternatively, you could do what I almost did, which is burn CDs, which would be cheaper, but a lot more time consuming, especially with 25 gigs of music.
  3. crees! macrumors 68000

Jun 14, 2003
    I agree, I can't remember if you can direct connect a Mac to PC but connecting them on the same network will be the way to go. Then with your iPod you can transfer those songs to your laptop then to the PC. You'll need (forgot program name) to copy those songs off the iPod.
  4. munkle macrumors 68030

Aug 7, 2004
    On a jet plane
    As others have suggested I would transfer the music between your Mac and PC by hooking them up together. The song information will remain as the information is stored in actual song file, not on the computer.

And no, your iPod will not work on the PC if it is formatted for Mac's. What you will have to do is reformat the iPod to Windows format for it to be compatible with you PC, once you do this the iPod will still be able to be read by your Mac - Mac's are clever like that! However, all your information will be wiped.

Another way to transfer information is to reformat your iPod to Windows format, transfer songs from Mac to iPod and then use a programme like iPodAgent or something similar (sorry I'm not too sure on what apps are out there on the Windows side but a quick search in iPodlounge.com should do the trick) to download songs from iPod to your Windows computer. Slightly long winded, especially as you'll have to do a couple of transfers to get your 25 gigs over. I would stick with the network solution! :)
  5. krohde macrumors member

May 29, 2002
    Europe, UK
    Simply buy a crossed network cable (category 5) (less than $20) and assign a IP address to both computers, e.g. (for mac) and (for PC) turn on windows file sharing on the mac and go to the PC. use the Network place in windows to connect to the mac by entering \\\USERNAME it will ask you to authorize - enter your usernmae and password and then go to directory where your music is stored drag it to the PC desktop or whereever u want it and that should be it.