Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DTphonehome

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 4, 2003
NYC
Argh! Looks like I'm in trouble here! My Gen 3 iPod (30 GB) has about 16 GB of music, many of them with ratings. I seem to have trashed my iTunes music directory, and now I want to get the songs off of my iPod back onto my now bare iTunes. Problem is, most iPod utilities I've tried can't transfer the ratings back along with the song file! I know this sounds like a minor little problem, but I took DAYS getting those songs rated and I would HATE to have to do that again! The songs ARE still rated on the iPod; I can see the ratings when I click the iPod icon in the "source" pane on the left. How do I get them all back into iTunes?

Thanks for any help!!
--DT

jbomber

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2003
Brooklyn - NYC
Re: iPod trouble! Help!

Originally posted by DTphonehome
Argh! Looks like I'm in trouble here! My Gen 3 iPod (30 GB) has about 16 GB of music, many of them with ratings. I seem to have trashed my iTunes music directory, and now I want to get the songs off of my iPod back onto my now bare iTunes. Problem is, most iPod utilities I've tried can't transfer the ratings back along with the song file! I know this sounds like a minor little problem, but I took DAYS getting those songs rated and I would HATE to have to do that again! The songs ARE still rated on the iPod; I can see the ratings when I click the iPod icon in the "source" pane on the left. How do I get them all back into iTunes?

Thanks for any help!!
--DT

:( I'm not entirely sure it's possible. I've had a series of issues with my ipod (2nd gen 10GB) and usually the ratings, start/end changes, dB adjustments, etc. end up getting wiped out whenever there's a major problem.

In all likelihood, you'll have to copy the songs back to the machine and start over.

Who knows tho. I might be wrong. Which apps are you using to pull the files off the ipod?

DTphonehome

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 4, 2003
NYC
Re: Re: iPod trouble! Help!

Originally posted by jbomber

Who knows tho. I might be wrong. Which apps are you using to pull the files off the ipod?

Thanks for the quick reply...not that it lifted my spirits, but you tried. I found that iPodWorks is the best of the bunch, and I payed to register it...but it still won't transfer the ratings...hope you or someone else knows a fix!

Thanks!

--DT

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.