iPod Troubles.

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by armchainmstenw, Dec 18, 2003.

1. armchainmstenw macrumors member

I have a 3G 10GB iPod, with firewire disk enabled on my computer (imac15"800mhz). I have recently attempted to update the songs on my iPod, but the computer doesn't acknowledge the connection with anything. iSync does not start up, the firewire disk icon doesn't show, and system profiler displays no firewire devices attached. However, the iPod still charges when connected to the computer. Do you think that the cable might be damaged?

2. revenuee macrumors 68020

revenuee

hmm .... try to turn it on and then restart the computer and then see if it still doesn't show up

i know that firewire is hot swap able, but it doesn't hurt to try anyway

3. armchainmstenw thread starter macrumors member

It still doesn't work. Any other suggestions?

4. mislabeledstar macrumors regular

have you tried reseting it (hold down play/menu while in the dock)

if that doesn't work, try the same thing and after the apple logo appears immediately let go off both buttons and hold down the arrows while in the dock.

if not, which this recently happened to me, send it into apple for a new one.

best wishes

5. armchainmstenw thread starter macrumors member

All it says is "OK to Disconnect". Is there anything I can do from there?

6. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

I am having the exact same problem. Sometimes it says "do not disconnect", sometimes the folder icon will come onscreen when i try to use it, sometimes the dead ipod icon. and for a while it would crash about every song or so. Now it's working fine, except it won't connect to either of the two macs i use. Personally, i'm fortunate to still be under warranty, for another few weeks... So i'm sending it in. are you under warranty?

paul

7. armchainmstenw thread starter macrumors member

I am under warranty. Do you think it might be a cable problem instead?

8. jaykk macrumors 6502a

My 2G 10gb have similar problem too

Mine (2g 10gb ) started showing similar problems too, it is recognized only after a couple of reset. Sometime it says, ""do not disconnect" , sometimes it just says ""OK to Disconnect". I searched thru apple discussion forums, there are quite a few people reporting simliar problems

9. armchainmstenw thread starter macrumors member

So it's software then?
    I hope there's some way I can fix it within the next 24 hours.

10. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

well, christ.

i go to request service, with less than a month left in my warranty. it won't let me request it, as it finds multiple counties for my zip code, and asks me to enter one. i do, and it tells me the same thing. over and over. stupid applecare site! And of course there's no way to contact Apple without paying $50 for troubleshooting fee. Left a message on their forum, hope to god it gets answered...

*not amused*

anyone know if there is another way to request warranty service? i will NOT live with a non-connectable iPod because apple's site sucks.

paul

11. The Void macrumors regular

The Void

I had the same problem with my 2g 10GB iPod. See here http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=47501&highlight=ipod+panther

I thought i had sorted it all out, but it happened again the other week. I tried a quick wiggle of the firewire at the iPod end, and suddenly the tick was replaced by the no entry sign/do not disconnect, and the pod was back on the desktop. This wiggle-fix subsequently failed to work a couple of other times.

All of which leads me to think that it's either a problem with my wire (I'm using the thin white one that came with the iPod), or there's aloose connection inside the iPod. Which would be bad news for me, as i'm out of warranty.

The Void

Update; another possibility; my remote lead had developed a slight crack in the outer white coating just above the join to the connecting jack plug. I'd placed a bit of insulating tape over this to protect it. The tape had got a bit icky lately, so i just peeled it off to replace it, only to find the outer white wire had completely split, revealing the 6 inner wires. I've re-taped it all up again, this time with more support. The iPod has been mounting fine since then. Just vaguely wondering if this is connected to the 'won't mount' problem...? Perhaps the remote was sending an intermittant signal to the iPod. I doubt that that's really the problem, but i thought i'd mention it. Hmmm....

12. big macrumors 65816

big

I think it's Apple's latest Firewire bug they have released.... does your iPod work in USB? Mine does, just not firewire, annoying, as it worked prior to updates...

13. Bear macrumors G3

My iPod works fine both Firewire and USB. I'm running 10.3.8 and the iPod Photo 1.1 firmware.