ipod U2 Help please !

Discussion in 'iPod' started by davidwhitehall, Sep 3, 2006.

1. davidwhitehall macrumors newbie

I have very limited IT experience but am determined to try and solve the problem I'm having with my Ipod U2. I bought it in the States from the chain store Radio Shack. I was told that buying in America wouldn't affect how it performs in England - where I live. My main problem is that I can't update the thing - each time I get a message which says "The ipod ' David W's ipod cannot be updated. The required file cannot be found". I loaded up the I tunes + Ipod software, then connected the lead to the USB but didn't realise that the ipod would scan my pc and load all songs off my cdrive - not something I wanted it to do ! When I go to Edit - preferences - Ipod, it says "no Ipod is connected" - which confuses me because it certainly is connected. I've reset the Ipod back to manufacturers original status and now have a virginal Ipod again but would like to know :
    a) How to avoid the ipod scanning and retaining all songs on my c drive
    b) What to do about the required file which "cannot be found"
    I'd be really grateful for some help

2. Osarkon macrumors 68020

Osarkon

to stop your ipod automatically syncing with iTunes, in the itunes preferences, goto ipod - and click 'Manually manage songs and playlists' . that should stop it automatically syncing. As to your other problem, haven't a clue i'm afraid:confused:

3. davidwhitehall thread starter macrumors newbie

U2 Help.

Thanks for the advice. Unfortunately, when I go to ipod, it tells me that 'no Ipod is connected.':eek:

4. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

5. sceptre0 macrumors newbie

iPods Suck

The ipod "iPod Name" cannot be updated. The required file cannot be found"

Possible fix: Delete the folder "iPod Photo Cache" from \My Documents\My Photos\ on Windows. It will reoptimize your photo collection for the iPod. It has not finished optimizing my photos yet, but I believe this did the trick.

I would like to thank Apple for the extremely helpful error message. </sarcasm>

After all the problems I've had with my 2 iPods, I will not be buying another.