iPod Universal Dock + Apple Remote

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by pyrexx, Nov 4, 2005.

1. pyrexx macrumors newbie

Please write software so that when the Universal Dock is plugged into a computer over USB it no longer controls the iPod resting in it over Infared, but controls the computer in applications like iTunes, Quicktime, etc...

2. iEdd macrumors 68000

iEdd

OK, I will. Just for you, but remember it will require a lot of hacking and can destroy the firmware on your iPod and leave your wallet short of $555.55, but I'll do my best :)

3. debroglie macrumors 6502a

debroglie

I think that a better use of time and money would be to buy a remote meant for this actual purpose, such as the RemoteWonder of Keyspan

4. john_satc macrumors 6502

On a side note: Anyone with the universal dock and remote using with a new iPod (vid) does the menu button on the remote work for you?

5. applerocks macrumors regular

The menu button is not supposed to work with the iPod to control the menus.

6. pyrexx thread starter macrumors newbie

you see using the Dock as an IR port also kills 2 birds with one stone. The software to run it should work like this...

When an iPod is plugged into the dock, the dock works as it does now... Controlling the iPod with the remote.

When the iPod is physically removed (or dragged to the eject icon on the dock but is still sitting in the dock) the dock should be used as an IR receiver to control iTunes, Quicktime, >>Front Row<<, etc...

Is this possible?

7. JDOG_ macrumors 6502a

JDOG_

I'll do it for $120,000 and some flatbread.

Why don't you just use iTunes & a keyspan remote hooked up to a mac mini? Almost the same price as an iPod+Dock+remote+speakers

8. Platform macrumors 68030

Platform

Yes I want to know too....want a dock in my living room so I can control iTunes from there.....anyone know ?

9. student_trap macrumors 68000

student_trap

sounds like it would be a pretty cool idea to me, even better if it meant that we could all get front row!