iPod Universal Dock + Fire Wire

Discussion in 'iPod' started by Kimi, Dec 9, 2005.

1. Kimi macrumors regular

Does the new iPod Universal Dock work with a Fire Wire cable? If it was the old one (with out the RF stuff) I would say yes as it wout just be an extension of the cable it's self, but with the next extra I'm not sure. I know that the newer iPods don't use Fire Wire anymore, except for charging, so is this carried onto the new docks?

I've got an 4G iPod (not photo) and only the Fire Wire cable, the USB cable is about 300 miles away. I don't want to end up wasting my money on something that I can't use except for a fancey charger

2. matticus008 macrumors 68040

matticus008

Unfortunately, it does not. Even if it were the old dock, it still would not work. The new iPods just don't work with Firewire--no and's, if's, or but's about it.

EDIT: Sorry, misread your second paragraph. Your 4G iPod should probably still work with Firewire, although maybe not the IR receiver, since it's mostly just a pin-for-pin passthrough.

3. Kimi thread starter macrumors regular

Would the remote work if I used the USB cable? I might be able to get one off a friend.

4. The Reg macrumors newbie

I have both the 3G and 5G iPods, the Universal Dock and the remote. Here's what I know...

1) 5G iPod will only charge over firewire.

2) 3G iPod will sync and charge with both FW and USB.

3) The Universal Dock and remote will work with 3G and 5G iPods, whether it is plugged to computer or not. (The cable has nothing to do with the remote controls functionality).

4) The remote control is basically useless except for pausing, forward and backwards. It is great however for photo slideshows.:rolleyes:

If your 4G iPod can sync with FW it will suffice...otherwise use the USB.

5. Kimi thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks The Rag. I'll get one. I'm not really fussed about the remote, but I'll be getting one with my new iMac so I might as well get the 'better' dock for my iPod. :)