Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sky Blue

Jan 8, 2005
What other features would you expect? Smart searching and all that stuff obviouls ain't gonna retro-install...just like stopwatch and world clock last time.

sanford

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2003
Dallas, USA
Oh well, so much for hoping. I would have been a hard sell for me to upgrade my 5G at this point, even if it had been some sort of fancy new widescreen iPod with a lot more storage. But to upgrade my thin 30GB to a new thin 30GB for searching and gapless playback -- well, no.

alfredsmog

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2006
i don't know what SkyBlue ect are on about, but SmartSearch and gapless playback work on my 5g after installing the 1.2 update

sanford

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2003
Dallas, USA
alfredsmog said:
i don't know what SkyBlue ect are on about, but SmartSearch and gapless playback work on my 5g after installing the 1.2 update

Exactly where are they? I see no options for gapless playback and I see no smart search menu item anywhere.

TMA

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2003
England
Where are you getting version 1.2?

My iTunes 7 downloaded with version 1.1, there's also nothing in software update or on Apples website.

mcmadhatter

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 6, 2005
Bath, UK
i watched the video of where smartsearch should be on the apple website and it is not on my updated 5th gen ipod, so I guess you must mean smart seacrh works with itunes not ipods.

vega07

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2006
alfredsmog said:

where? where?

mcmadhatter

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 6, 2005
Bath, UK
TMA said:
Where are you getting version 1.2?

My iTunes 7 downloaded with version 1.1, there's also nothing in software update or on Apples website.

plug the ipod in, open up itunes then look on the summary tab under devices->your ipod and click update

Kardashian

macrumors 68020
Sep 4, 2005
Britain.
New features in 1.2:

- Gapless playback 'out-the-box' - no menu option.
- Brightness setting.
- 'Smart Scroll' (I made the name up) - when you spin the wheel, it jumps to a certain letter, 'J' for example, so you don't have to go through the whole alphabet. And it displays the letter on-screen.

I'm hoping Apple won't let its loyal customers down, and will let us older 5G owners update our iPods with the other new features, upon the first firmware release for the 'newer' iPods.

Kendall015

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2006
The "SmartScroll" thing works, as well as brightness and games, but where is smartsearch? How are you supposed to get to it?

TheNightPhoenix

macrumors 6502
Dec 16, 2005
i got 1.2 with gapless, games, brightness and smart scroll... but no search... i can live with the gapless.

just wish the "amazing" new movies were available in the U.K with some damn TV shows.

TheNightPhoenix

macrumors 6502
Dec 16, 2005
i got 1.2 with gapless, games, brightness and smart scroll... but no search... i can live with the gapless.

just wish the "amazing" new movies were available in the U.K with some damn TV shows.

G-Prime

macrumors member
Jul 7, 2004
Phoenix, AZ
Click on iTunes in the menu bar then select "Check For Updates" it will tell you the iTunes is up to date and then prompt you to update your iPod. Oh yeah make sure your iPod is plugged in.

sanford

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2003
Dallas, USA
If smart search is all they held back, I can live with that. Sometimes they hold back key features until it's obvious that all that might quickly upgrade for the new features have probably done so, then they release the key features in firmware. Honestly, I've never said, Oh this thing needs a search function.

simonthewolf

macrumors member
May 24, 2006
Milton Keynes, UK
OK, I've got gapless. After 3 frickin' years of sending feedback to Apple, I've got gapless! :)

I am SERIOUSLY chuffed with this! Hours of fun! Has anyone else studied the time counter as the tracks merge into each other? According to the counter, the second track appears to start around one sec before the first finishes, although the aural effect is seemless. Top banana.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.