iPod updater / passphrase problem

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by The Shadow, Apr 11, 2003.

1. The Shadow macrumors regular

Hi everyone,

I have an unusual problem when attempting to "install" the latest 1.2.6 iPod Updater.

When I connect the iPod to my Mac, iTunes and the Updater both launch and a message comes up asking if I want to update, I affirm, then the passphrase dialogue box comes up, with my username already correctly inserted. I type in my keychain passphrase and it is always rejected. :confused:

So I went into My Account to change my password to sort out the glitch, but it didn't recognise the current password I was typing in, even though it was correct.

Using the Mastering OSX 10.2 book as a reference, I rebooted and went to root and edited my password (to blank) in Raw mode. Exited and booted up OSX (10.2)

Went into My Account in System Preferences with the intention of changing my "blank" password to something meaningful - but guess what? It wasn't blank. So what did I do? Yep, I typed in that "old" password and, yikes, it was accepted, so I then changed it.

Connected the iPod again, updater launched...same problem, password rejected.:confused:

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

(Note: I'm not technical, so general advice is not much use. I need any steps fully explained)

2. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

well i wouldnt go into root and start messing with it. i hosed my computer once opening up netinfo and chaning my admin account to root by changing my uid to 0, which is the wrong way to do it. anyways, boot off your mac os x cd and change your password through the cd, that is the easiest way. let me know how it goes

iJon

3. The Shadow thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks iJon.

I'll try that. Moved recently and haven't managed to dig up the Jag CD, but it'll turn up in a few days, then I'll see what happens.

Am in the final stages of a post grad thesis, I won't do any more tinkering till the middle of the week.

Thanks for taking the time.

iShadow :D

4. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

Re: Thanks iJon.

I take it you must have your machine set to auto login or else you wouldn't have gotten that far.

5. The Shadow thread starter macrumors regular

You'll never guess what...

Found the prob...for some strange reason that hasn't previously surfaced, the applet was populating with the wrong name (ie long instead of short or vice versa) so I put in the other one on a whim and...

YEE HAA!

Ah computers...ya gotta lovem'.

I've come to the conclusion I was wrong about by Mac - it must be female!:p

P.S. Yeah, none of that login crap is allowed in my universe! :D

But it makes me think, if I've got it on auto login so anyone get log in and destroy it (criminals breaking and entering my home) why force me to go through the keychain stuff? Seems inconsistent to me. I'm a home user, I'm the only person who uses my Mac. What would I want with administrator type passwords?

6. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

Re: You'll never guess what...

They do it as a sort of precautionary method. Rather then telling you with an annoying popup window every time that what you are about to do may affect the system they simply give you a password form.

7. The Shadow thread starter macrumors regular

So they spare from something annoying, like clicking an OK button, by giving something a hundred times more annoying (ie entering a password then clicking an OK button).:)

8. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

No it's a security measure made for the general masses. Remember just because you know what you are doing doesn't mean %99.9999998 of most computer users have a clue.

I'm sure if you look into there is a way to fix it within the terminal so that you never have to see that window again.

9. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

i think its not the mac os, but the unix core its built on, i believe unix just requires passwords. give that cd a try, you probably made a password not thinking you would ever have to use it, i see that alot.

iJon