ipod updater will not work

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by masterjedi73, Oct 2, 2005.

1. masterjedi73 macrumors 6502

Jan 12, 2004
    Has anyone else had this problem? I'm running OSX 10.3.9 and have a 10gb 3g ipod. I plugged my ipod in to charge through the computer and it said i couldn't transfer any purchased music to the ipod unless i downloaded the update. so i downloaded the update, but when it comes time to install it the options for "update" and "restore" are grayed out and i can't select them.

any ideas?

2. masterjedi73 thread starter macrumors 6502

Jan 12, 2004
    from the apple site

OK. This was posted over on the apple discussions site, and it worked.
    Someone named Michelle posted it.

Okay! I've finally figured it out... if anyone's still not sorted this out, this is what I did:

You need to (I assume) make sure that you delete iPodDriver.kext from /system/library/extensions - I deleted the file last week, but I think it needs to be gone for this to work. Empty the trash as well to make sure it's gone.

Then download the combined updater from http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/macosxcombinedupdate1039.html - follow all the instructions to install it and, when prompted, restart your Mac.

THEN find the iPod software updater (the 2005-09-23 one is the latest, and seems to work fine for me) in your Utilities folder. When prompted, plug in your iPod... the 'update' and 'restore' buttons should actually become clickable now, instead of greyed-out, after a few seconds. Mine wouldn't work when I tried hitting the 'update' button (something about the updater not having a firmware image...), but when I selected 'update' from the 'options' menu in the menu bar, it asked for my administrator password and started the update. You just need to wait for it to finish updating and say your iPod is 'up to date', then you can eject the iPod and plug it back in again... this time (with any luck) iTunes will open, recognise the existence of your iPod and update all the songs. Without any messages about your software being too old.

Hope this makes sense & fixes the problem for anyone else who's been having this frustrating problem - it was driving me mad...