iPod use question. moving files.

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by sjcaguy, Dec 9, 2003.

1. sjcaguy macrumors regular

I read in another thread that moving files from the iPod back to the HD (if you delete them from the HD) is not exactly an intuitive process. iPodlounge has a tip for moving these files that requires using Toast Titanium. Granted, I'm a switcher and my iPod isn't even here yet, but I'm a little concerned reading these threads about moving files to and from the iPod.

Is this issue of moving songs from the iPod back to the computer only for music downloaded from iTunes (and therefore affected by the DRM stuff)?

This would seem slightly-to-moderately inconvienent, to not be able to move mp3's easily from the iPod back to the HD. What if I take my iPod to a friends house with a mac, put some music on the iPod (in the form of mp3's, not the iTunes format) and then have to go through some less-than-intuitive process to simply put them on my computer?

Let me ask it this way: if I am storing existing mp3 files on the iPod (not from iTunes), can't I just move them back and forth?

2. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

Re: iPod use question. moving files.

If you store files on your iPod you can get them off easily. It is when you store music files through iTunes that you cannot get them off the iPod easily. If you want to move your own files around just use your iPod as a Hard Drive. Easy to do. However the songs that you sync via iTunes will be harder to get off of your iPod. So instead just copy your mp3's to your iPod as if you were copying them to another part of your hard drive.

But... as for getting MP3's from your friend and then putting them on your computer. That may or may not be illegal (depending on copyright law for those particular songs).

3. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

Re: iPod use question. moving files.

this is why iPod is the way it is. i answered this in another thread, but if you can listen to the music (regardless of the format) on the ipod, then it's not easy to move those songs off the ipod onto the computer.

if you just use the FW HD mode and store those music files as "files" (again, regardless of the format), then it's easy to transfer back to the computer.

by the way, getting mp3s from your friends is not legal. (generally)

4. sjcaguy thread starter macrumors regular

are there any disadvantages/features lost by using the iPod as a FireWire HD? It would seem to me, based on your post, that this is the best way for me to go-- just use the FW HD mode and listen/change music as i please.

will my iPod experience be dimished/less awesome :)cool:) because of using it in FW HD mode?

5. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

you can't listen to music files stored on your iPod under FW mode. those are just "files" as far as iPod is concerned, no different than word documents or jpg pictures. to listen to music files from iPod, you need to add those songs via iTunes.

if you wanted to get some music from your friends, the way you have to do it would be (i'm not advocating this btw):

his computer -> ipod (FW mode) -> your computer -> iTunes -> add to ipod.

6. sjcaguy thread starter macrumors regular

Argh.
    This doesn't seem frustrating to anyone else?

I mean, it would seem like it would be a good idea to be able to move the files around. I understand the piracy issues, though.

So how well do the 3rd-party applications that help move the files around work? Which is your favorite?

7. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

i keep copies of music on my iPod on my PB as well, so i don't have any issues or the need to move files off iPod...

the only way to add music to your iPod is via iTunes. so the only time you need to move music back from iPod to your computer is if you erase that music from your computer...

8. phrancpharmD macrumors regular

My iBook internal HD is too small for my music collection so I have my entire iTunes library on an external FW HD. Will iTunes "know" the music is on the external HD when I sync the iPod I'm hoping for with iTunes (provided the external FW HD is mounted, of course)? I will not want the iPod attempting to sync to the internal iBook HD as there is not nearly enough room. . .

9. Wash!! macrumors 6502

Yes it will know

You have to go into the preference pane and select "advance" and change the location of the itunes music library

cheers

By the way there're programs out there that will let you copy the songs from your ipod in to your hd without copy them twice

10. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

yes you can. (i assume you have a fw hub.) go to Preferences under iTunes, in Advanced pane, you can reset the iTunes Music Folder Location to the one on your ext. HD. (if you have all of your music on an ext. location, this is the way to go.)

if you have a part of your music on your computer and the rest on ext. HD, uncheck "Copy files to iTunes Music folder when adding to library" in the same pane. leave the default iTunes music folder as the default location - usually Macintosh HD:Users:[user name]:Music:iTunes:Itunes Music.

now, you can just drag and drop the music folders (i usually add one by one by artist folder) from your ext. HD into iTunes and they will be added to the play list - but will not be added to the main folder on your computer. if you check the info on the song, it will list ext. HD as the source location. needless to say, those music will only play when the ext. HD is mounted and available. now, you can add those music to your iPod as usual. (again, you will need two FW ports because both ext. HD and iPod must be mounted at the same time.)

11. Dreadnought macrumors 68020

Dreadnought

Let me explain it very simple when you use you ipod:

The ipod is 2 things: 1 a jukebox, 2 a harddrive. The tunes which you sync via itunes, which you can listen to "on the road" are "hidden"on your ipod. Ipods software can see them (the jukebox), but can't see the other files on your ipod (the harddrive). When you connect your ipod to your mac and it appears as an external harddrive you can see the files on your ipod except for the hidden files ( the itunes files!). When you put your mp3s and other audio files on your ipod, on the external harddisk, you can carry them around with you and exchange them with others (legal or not). However the ipod can't play them, because it can't see them! Apple has done this for copyrights.

I hope I have made things a bit clearer to you. However, there are programs that work around this and with which you can download the songs of your ipod from the jukebox!

12. Choppaface macrumors 65816

if the mp3s are tagged its somewhat easy to move them back to your comp...if they're not you can still get them but organizing them will be a pain

if you have hidden files shown (google something like "mac os x show hidden files" if you don't know how to turn this on), there are a few hidden folders on the ipod that hold your mp3s, just copy those to your itunes music folder and in itunes prefs make sure "keep itunes music folder organized" is checked and itunes should resort them into a nice folder structure for you.... or you can just drag the files into itunes if you want...but in any case, thats where the files are kept, not in a "hidden partition" as one of the apple salesman misinformed me (right after of accusing me of piracy... apple please don't alienate your customers your marketing has already alienated me....)

I'd like to know actually why the ipod doesnt keep the files in the same folder structure as itunes does....not that it would really be necessary but its kinda awkward how it works now...

13. phrancpharmD macrumors regular

OK, cool, so I'll probably be all set - this is how I set it up originally when I ripped all my CDs in August. Thanks!

14. ZildjianKX macrumors 68000

ZildjianKX

I know its to prevent piracy, but its a pain if you own more than 1 mac and want to use an iPod with both...