ipod use with windows and mac

Discussion in 'iPod' started by heywoodja, Jun 9, 2006.

1. heywoodja macrumors member

Feb 14, 2005
    Milpitas, Ca USA
    I use windows at work. I am not the type of mac user who vilifies windows. In fact I move the task bar to the top so it looks like a mac and use OSX desktop pictures for my desktop. Well anyway, here is my question. I bought a 5g ipod video and first set it up on my mac at home. Loaded it with all my music,some movies and photos. You know, filled it with more crap than I could possibly use. Brought it into work and hooked it up to my work computer (yes usb 2) and windows said it needed to format the ipod. I did not because I wanted some tunes for the ride home. What it took was for me to re-set up the ipod on my wife's PC at home. Now I can plug it into my Mac at home and itunes reconizes it and I can bring it to work and my PC will reconize it and play it fine through itunes for windows. I was looking through all the manuals and online stuff and couldn't find a mention of this. I would think that a lot of people would use macs at home but windows at work. If I had know that I would have to set it up on a pc first, it would have saved me some time. It's really not a big deal, I was just wondering if others have ran into the same issue.
  2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Apr 3, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia
    Format the iPod on a PC and you can use it on a Mac or a PC. Mine is formatted for PC so I can use it to transfer large files between my machines, but it automatically syncs with a Mac. :)