iPod users turning into Cyborgs.

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Xtremehkr, Jan 28, 2005.

1. Xtremehkr macrumors 68000

Jul 4, 2004

2. virividox macrumors 601

Aug 19, 2003
    Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
  3. dejo Moderator

Staff Member

Sep 2, 2004
    The Centennial State
    Unless it turns out that iPods cure cancer... :D
  4. Raid macrumors 68020

Feb 18, 2003
    Ah... he's in marketing... it's kind of like asking an accountant to stop doing the books and come up with a solution to heart disease.

I'm currently trying to get into the York Universtiy Grad program (not in marketing though), and I think it's kind of interesting that they study this kind of thing. Sure the aim of this is primarily for marketing techno-gagets, but others could expand on this to examine changing social interactions (or the lack thereof) we have due to technology.

I went to his site http://www.ipodstories.com/ and filled out his questionnaire. If you're interested and feel like sharing why not do so?... just put in a good word for me will ya? Maybe he knows somebody in the Economics department ;)
  5. telecomm macrumors 65816

Nov 30, 2003
    That was excellent! Quote of the day! :D

I can definitely see my iPod Shuffle becoming a usual part of my day, but I'm not sure about this notion of "technotranscendence". Am I "technotranscending" when I imagine myself in the environment depicted in a realistic painting?
  6. maya macrumors 68040

Oct 7, 2004
    somewhere between here and there.

It's all in your head and nothing more. ;) :)

Too many doctors and scientists doing useless studies. We are all in trouble. :p :)

To think they are only advertising to pay of they school tuition debt. ;) :p
  7. mvc macrumors 6502a

Jul 11, 2003
    I'd be careful with that sort of self medication.

Didn't you read point 2 on the original Apple shuffle page:

1. Music capacity is based on 4 minutes per song and 128Kbps AAC encoding.
    2. Do not eat iPod shuffle.
    3. Rechargeable batteries have a limited number of charge cycles and may eventually need to be replaced. Battery life and number of charge cycles vary by use and settings. See www.apple.com/batteries for more information.
    4. Some computers require either the optional iPod shuffle Dock or a USB cable extender (sold separately).

Still, you might be able to use it as a suppository! :p
  8. snkTab macrumors 6502a

Nov 13, 2004
    Cincinnati, OH
  9. the_mole1314 macrumors 6502a

Sep 16, 2003
    Akron, OH
    Wasn't there some sort of device a few years ago that store names, photos, music, games, wasn't there one years ago......

oh yeah, it's the PDA. I forgot, it must have been the cloaking field held up by this guy riding the coat tails of a popular device.
  10. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Jul 17, 2004
    Well.... I have to say... what about the Mini? They certainly look good enough to eat... :D
  11. snkTab macrumors 6502a

Nov 13, 2004
    Cincinnati, OH
    i had one of those digital dictionary things they made in the 80s. didn't make me a idiot prodocol droid with no personality.
  12. snkTab macrumors 6502a

Nov 13, 2004
    Cincinnati, OH
    anyway, having to reach into your pocket grab your whatever and then navigate and read it, then placing it back equals not transending into a digital world of cyborgism.

what comes close are the people that strap laptops to them and wear a small display in front of one eye (heads up display), immersive input device, that are connected wirelessly to the internet. now those are cyborgs that have transsended because they have changed (augmented) they own reality or their perception of the world.

IMO this guy is just trying to write a paper to sound impressive. like if someone were to write a paper on the guy that invented rubber flippers and said he was trying to turn us into fish.
  13. Xtremehkr thread starter macrumors 68000

Jul 4, 2004
    Considering what I carry around right now on a daily basis. A product combination I would like to see in the future would have the following features;

Cell phone, PDA, iPod capacity and features, car remote functions, and garage/remote gate openeing capabilities. Even then I wouldn't feel like a Cyborg, just someone free of lugging around endless amounts of gadgets. If you could put all of that in a wrist watch/eye and-or sunglass combination it would be awesome. Maybe a stand along earbud for cell phone conversations.

You could use your eyewear as a visual display, the earbud for phone conversations and maybe one of those nifty virtual keyboards projected from the watch. Though advanced voice recognition software would solve that unless you wanted to send something that you don't want to say out loud.

Maybe an all in one PDA with the ability to display through eyewear or a screen would be the best combo.

I do feel this guy is making a silly argument though, no one has ever accused books/PDAs/Organizers of being the same thing and yet they serve a similar purpose when you carry them around.

The possibilities are endless though.
  14. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

Jan 9, 2004
    Grand Rapids, MI, USA
    That's a good idea, although it really needs to be head-mounted and have some sort of laser tracking device on it. ;)

Really far OT, but I was at a Camper Van Beethoven concert last night, and they were using a couple of PBs on stage, and before the show, they kept playing this*loop of a synth'd voice counting digits backwards, with a kinda creepy filter effect. I was like, is it just me, or am I being assimilated? :eek:

I do have to admit that I go into an iPod daze sometimes. I saw a friend getting coffee in the hospital atrium the other day, and I waved to her, but apparently she called after me and I ignored her after that, and the barista was like "he's ipodding -- you can't reach him right now." :eek:
  15. busasa macrumors member

Feb 2, 2004
    Hehe, i actually had my undergrad done in York University majoring in communication studies. I would have to say I'm not surprised by the perspective that Giesler had toward this study. There is nothing mainstream coming out from this left wing school. :D
  16. vollspacken macrumors 65816

Oct 17, 2002
    Boogie-Down Berlintown
    maybe the iPod is the reason why one of the "Goldie Looking Chain"-guys turned into a robot/cyborg in their song "Half man, Half Machine"... ;)

you knows it..!

17. mymemory macrumors 68020

May 9, 2001
    "The iPod is no longer just an instrument or a tool, but a part of myself. It's a body extension. It's part of my memory..."

No is not, I do not own an iPod! :rolleyes:

But what he says about people conected to things is true but that is here in the US specially where is culture is so technologically freak (Japan still having an strong spiritual innerself).
  18. homerjward macrumors 68030

May 11, 2004
    fig tree
    hmm...there could be a mini speaker thing built into the part of the glasses that goes behind your ear and one of those cool mics that pics up cheekbone vibrations but somehow make it like ultra-sensitive so you could just whisper. hmm...put bluetooth in there and a little receiver in the garage so you just have to pull in your driveway to open the door, same with the car, or maybe use rf like that mercedes "keyless go" thing, and a little belt clip with a 1.8 inch hard drive in it. 3840x2400 should do it for the display and it could run off your body's kinetic energy like a watch. it'd be pretty awesome if it had a built in airport express that could get music and put it on the built in ipod from any network it comes across, then a mini-stylus you can operate with your eyelashes and the ability to put it in a dock and connect it to a 30"acd and play doom3 at 2048x1536 in a window while editing video in final cut and folding and watching 6 movies in vlc. hmm...i bet apple could charge 25 cents for it, with a free 2-button bluetooth mouse with clickwheel built in and noone would buy it because it "doesnt have pci slots" [/ranting]
  19. Xtremehkr thread starter macrumors 68000

Jul 4, 2004
    More great ideas. My car has the programmable garage/slash gate opener thing as well. Considering how cheap it is I am surprised that more cars don't come with it, just little buttons imbedded in the sun visor, they are convieniant though. Most of the time I walk to class, so it could still serve a purpose cause I take my iPod with me. I can't wait until front doors can be opened using a similar device.

Security comes to mind, that is easily solved as well. The digital lifestyle could make life a lot easier in the future. I can't help but think that everyone is going to need an embedded identification device though, but given the abuses that something like that could lead to, I don't think people would take to it unless their security could be provided for. It all comes down to privacy, which should be a constitutional right.