iPod Video 1 week on.

Discussion in 'iPod' started by R.Youden, Nov 20, 2005.

1. R.Youden macrumors 68020

R.Youden

OK, I have had my new 60GB iPod for a week now and I thought that I would write a little review on here for the hell of it (yes I am that board!)

Background:

I have had a 20GB iPod (3rd gen) for over two years now. I bought an iPod because I needed a music player and as a Mac user it was an ideal product. I was not one of those people who jumped on the "I am so cool because I have an iPod" way of thinking. Anyway my 20GB was getting full and its wasnt behaving when I tried to connect to my Mac so I decided to take the plunge.

Out of the box:

Very nice packaging as usual. The appearance is very much like the old iPod, but this one has lost its puppy fat for want of a better term.

Usage:

I didnt like the 4th gen Click Wheel but this one is very nice indeed. The only little issue with the click wheel is that when I skip forward or back the volume goes up or down a little. The screen is very crisp and clear with fantastic quality. For music it is just as good as the old iPod, very good quality. I have a pair of Apple in ear headphone and they make a vast difference. From a Photo point of view it is good. I dont think I will ever really use it for photos much, but it has that feature if I ever want it. As for the Video usage; wow. The iPod gives excellent quality on the small screen, I would not want to watch a whole film but a TV episode is easily watch able on the train or something like that. With the use of Mac The Ripper and Handbrake getting a DVD that you own (of course!) onto your iPod is very easy and gives very god results.

One thing missing:

The one thing I miss is the control that came on the headphone cable with the earlier iPods, having to reach into you pocket every time you get a poor track is annoying (OK I could just sort out my iTunes library but...).

Accessories:

The small bag that comes with the iPod is nice except it gets dirty very easily which is a shame. I may go back to the iPod socks!

I also got an Apple Remote and iPod dock with IR port. They are very cool for using the iPod with speakers but the remote needs to be the same as the iPod interface. It is annoying that when you are watching a film all you can do is play pause and not navigate in the normal way.

What next:

Well I think I will eventually get the camera connector and maybe I will appreciate the photo abilities of the iPod.

Anyway, thats all...

2. Jedi128 macrumors 6502

Wow, it sounds like your the person to ask about a question I have. Right now I have a 3rd Gen. 10GB and I am thinking of getting a video as well. I'm not sure if 30GB or 60GB is right, but my iPod's battery life is going down the toliet and its starting to act up (I think the RAM battery is gone). The reason I have been reluctant to buy is becuase I like the separated controls of the 3rd Gen much better than the click wheel, and the screen scratching issues.

One other I thing is that its only USB.... I prefer firewire but I think I have that part figured out. I was surprised you didn't say anything about the 5th Gen. not coming with a power adapter which I think is very surprising that Apple would delete such an, in miy mind, essential accessory.

3. 1rottenapple macrumors 65816

I'll ad my two cents...
    I recently got my FORTH IPOD (WOW I'm an Apple addict-3rd gen, 1st gen mini, 2nd gen mini before this ipod) and like the 5g as well. The battery gauge needs to get fixed by a firmware update, VERY VERY INACCURATE than past ipods. I LOVE the the antiskip (went on a 40min runs, doesn't skip a beat). I think the pack in headphones have increase in sound quality by a tad, though I don't use it. The charger, well its been discussed the way it sucks not having it included, but I still have my 1st gen mini's charger so that problem doesn't effect me. Don't care about the firewire support deletion. Very happy and I paid 290 with my student discount :)

4. R.Youden thread starter macrumors 68020

R.Youden

First point:

Mine has very very few scratches. Like you I thought I prefered the individual buttons but you do get used to it.

Second:

I would have preferred to have Firewire but it is to limit size I suppose. I suppose I have not thought about the power adaptor because the battery is so much better that I will very rarely have to charge the battery away from my computer.

Hope that helps.

5. bepster macrumors member

this is my 4th iPod so I have some wall chargers to choose from...

but still, I was a little disappointed that apple didn't include one in the 5th gen!

if you're travelling a lot, like me, you really need a wall charger!!

6. R.Youden thread starter macrumors 68020

R.Youden

Oh I agree, I know the 5th Gen cant transfer via Firewire but can it charge via Firewire, after all it is only looking for a voltage on two of the input pins, it is not even that difficult to find out which ones, you could even make your own charger

7. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Richard Youden, Thanks for the review, I think I'm gonna be getting one of these :)

I was curious about the video, not so much on the iPod, but if you play an episode of Lost (or anything in that resolution) that you downloaded from iTunes, how does it look on the computer?

Also, anybody with an iPod, did you buy AppleCare, and have you needed it?

8. mcmillan macrumors 6502

Hi,

Nice review, I want one :p , but I think I'll wait until next year (no special reason ;) )

I want to know if it CHARGES through a Firewire wall charger, I know it won't transfer, but I have my Mini's charger, but that only works with Firewire. Does anyone know that information?

9. 1rottenapple macrumors 65816

Yes it charges via old firewire wall chargers. I use the wall charger from my 1gen mini.

Also, I have never bought the applecare for my ipods, but then again, I each ipod has lasted my about 9 months. I always upgrade :p I think this time, I'm keeping my 5 gen because I'm leaving to teach overseas so I think I'll get the applecare before I leave just in case anything happens.

10. mcmillan macrumors 6502

Thanks, now I don't see any reason why I shouldn't have one :D

11. Jedi128 macrumors 6502

Are you surious? No transfer with firewire! I was planning on buying this to accompany my 5th Gen. and just use the wall charger from my 3rd gen which is also firewire. Well, this complicates things now. Dang, guess I'm falling off the firewire wagon if 5th's dont support transfer.... why on earth dont they... was it really that hard for Apple to include it?

12. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

I agree it is a shame Apple didn't include Firewire in the new iPod, but I can understand why.
    First of all, it made it possible for the iPod to be even smaller by leaving Firewire out. And second, hardly anyone uses Firewire, and therefore it wasn't worth Apple's time or money.