iPod Video 30GB -- battery replacement

Discussion in 'iPod' started by GreatPurpleRobe, Feb 19, 2012.

1. macrumors newbie

Apr 14, 2010
    College Station TX
    I've had my iPod video since 2006, bought it brand new. I've used it almost every day for the last 6 years. About 3 years ago I replaced the battery. That battery is now starting to go: it only holds a charge for about an hour.

My dilemma is: is it worth it to replace the battery yet again? Will I find that, if I replace the battery, the HD will just give out later in the year? What's the failure average on this generation? I have heard that the entire Classic line is getting the heave-ho pretty soon. Should I just break down and get a Touch? --GPR
  2. macrumors Core

Jul 24, 2006
    The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
    Worth is subjective, so nobody can help you here. It sounds like you use it enough to justify the $40 or whatever it costs for another battery.

Nobody can answer this.

No idea, but plenty of them still run fine.

Up to you.
  3. macrumors regular

Apr 6, 2011
    I'd suggest that you fix up your iPod video. I have the exact same one you are talking about (in black - not sure about yours) and while I don't use it as much, still keep it on my desk for its "cool" factor. If you can't justify spending the $40 or how much ever it costs to fix up the battery, then it can still sit on your desk and show off your cool factor. Or, you can consider just buying a new one altogether. You could go with either the touch or the classic, as I personally don't think either will be updated anytime soon. Who knows though? :cool:
  4. macrumors 68030

Mar 7, 2007
    Midwest America.
    Mine worked fine until I dropped it the other day and the hard drive died. It click-whir-whir, click-whir-whir's. Wasn't there a way to hook up a compact flash drive to the iPod Video to replace the hard disk? It still works, powers up and wanted to play, just bombed the hard drive... :(
  5. macrumors member

Apr 15, 2008
    Heck yes fix it! Heres a better battery for it:

Cost is $5 NEW. And most likely you can replace it yourself.

Yes. Here ya go:

$2 SHIPPED. I'd also get a new HD cable for $3:

You can put a 32GB or a 65GB CF card into it. Also 128GB but those run $1,000 :confused:

64GB CF run about $120.

Or just put a NEW 120GB hard drive in it for $65:

While it's open you might as well replace the battery with a higher capacity new one.

Good luck!