ipod video 5.5G can't play .mov video?

Discussion in 'iPod' started by phuong, Oct 18, 2006.

1. phuong macrumors 6502a

actually these are .mov files from a video podcast.
    i just received my 5.5G today. so i update to iTunes 7.01 and when i try to update the video podcast, i receive this error message: the ipod cannot update the video file because the video format is not supported on this ipod.

anybody had this problem before? i mean i downloaded these video podcasts from the iTunes store. although it's free but how come it isnt compatible with the latest iPod?

2. dwishbone macrumors regular

the podcasts arnt hosted or made by apple. the publisher may have altered their format slightly and made it incompatible with the iPod.
    is it all your podcasts or just that particular one?
    if its just that particular one you probably arnt the only one having the problem.

3. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

The iPod only supports two codecs MPEG-4 and H.264 in MP4/M4V/MOV containers and has limitations on the resolution and bandwidth for both codecs.

MOV could contain any number of other codecs (including MJPEG, MPEG-1 and MPEG-2) and the podcaster may not have adhered to one of the iPod compatible choices.

B

4. phuong thread starter macrumors 6502a

so can we convert these .mov files so that it's compatible with ipod?
    iSquint doesn't export .mov format and Quicktime's export to ipod settings only make it to .m4v

5. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Why do you need to keep it in .mov format? Quicktime Pro/iTunes will convert it to m4v which will work perfectly on the iPod.

6. phuong thread starter macrumors 6502a

because that seems to be the only way it'll be recognized in the podcast.
    i tried to export the podcast to playlist (Add to Playlist) and then manually add it (converted to mp4) but it doesnt seem to work that way. it doesnt appear on the playlist

7. milo macrumors 604

If they're doing a video podcast and it's not iPod compatible, I'd drop them a line and let them know that.

If they have a clue, they should make sure their video podcast actually works on iPods.