Discussion in 'iPod' started by DIFWEBSTER, Nov 9, 2005.

1. DIFWEBSTER macrumors newbie

Nov 9, 2005
    Hey ppl i got an ipod video but how do i get sound with my movie files
    I can play the files but no sound ? somebody knows the problem ?
  2. drater macrumors 6502a

Oct 6, 2005
    Boston, MA
    a little more info could help answer this question. What type of file are you playing on your ipod? Did you encode them? what program did you use to encode these files? What options did you use while encoding?
  3. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

Apr 21, 2003
    washington dc
  4. DIFWEBSTER thread starter macrumors newbie

Nov 9, 2005
    i just used a converter
    somebody can advise one ? a good converter?
    the files i want to convert are .avi .mov.mpg all kind of files
  5. dejo Moderator

Staff Member

Sep 2, 2004
    The Centennial State
    What converter?

And do the files play with sound on your computer?
  6. drater macrumors 6502a

Oct 6, 2005
    Boston, MA
    google "isquint" (not sure if it will support .avi, or .mov, but I think it does. a lot quicker than quicktime pro. Also, if you have quicktime pro, you can do the steps that Darwen listed here (also, you must download vlc), haven't tried it myself, but could work:

First, Step 1: follow the VLC steps outlined here

Originally Posted by jonat8
    Go into VLC > File > Open File (Not Quick Open File!)

Then choose the locked mov file, tick Advanced Output.

Change Encapsulation Mode to Quicktime

Then in Output options, choose File and hit Browse and choose a path and name.

Change Transcode options:
    Video: mp4v - bitrate 512kbps scale 1
    Audio: mp4a - bitrate 128kbps channels 2

Tick Play Locally if you want to watch the video as it's being encoded but it might be jerky because encoding uses a lot of processing power. Suggest you leave it off.

Hit OK twice, VLC will start up and open your file and "play it", i.e. the progress bar will start going but no video will play unless you have play locally on. Once it's done and has "stopped", double click on the output file you saved to open it in QT and ta-da! One unlocked file that is exportable to another format.

Alternatively you could use this procedure to encode straight into the right format for your device but VLC isn't quite as customisable in terms of resizing and cropping as QT.

Now, Step 2:
    Open the video in Quicktime. Go: File>Export from the drop down choose 'Movie to MPEG4' and there you go!

Two steps and it works, I just tested it with one video and it was a success. You need both steps in order to do it.
  7. mikemodena macrumors 6502a

May 30, 2005
    The reason you aren't hearing sound is because you're trying to convert a .mpg to .m4v, which doesn't work. It will encode the video but not the audio. I'm not sure myself how to get it to work, but that's why.
  8. Battousai macrumors member

Nov 4, 2005
    I have successfully converted avi and mpeg formats to mpeg4 format.

Unfortunatly, I'm at work right now, and I dont' remember the name of the tool that I used.

I can, however, tell you where I got it from. http://www.videohelp.com is a great source of video help of all kinds. They have tutorials on how to go between any formats you could think of. They're even starting to get a few iPod specific tutorials out.

Hope this website helps, I know it has always answered my problems.