Ipod Video 6G

Discussion in 'iPod' started by Ben1l, Mar 22, 2007.

1. Ben1l macrumors regular

Nov 30, 2006
    I've got an iPod 3G that has served me well and I love, but think it has reached the end of its life. I am in 2 minds about whether to get A 5G Video or try and hold out for whenever apple may release a "True Video" of widescreen version. Does anyone have a clue when it might be? Also I hear that it may be Flash memory. surely in making a purpose built video model they would want to get as much storage in it as possible and that would have to mean Hard Disk??
  2. Wolfpup macrumors 68030

Sep 7, 2006
    The prices I've seen quoted don't make any sense for a large flash based player. By the end of the year they were theoretically going to be $200 for 32GB...and that's not going to happen in a $250 player.

My guess is they'll either have basically an iPhone without the phone (and with 4-8GB flash), or something similar with a hard drive, or both.

Out of curiosity, are you on your original battery with your 3G iPod? Is that what's gone wrong with it?

My 3G's battery died last summer, and I got a 5.5G when those became available. I *REALLY* dislike these non-replaceable batteries though.

There are cheap replacements (though getting the cover of your iPod off looks iffy IMO, and the companies selling batteries are kind of iffy too). But for like $15 that might be worth it to keep it going until something better comes out. I *really* hope my 5.5G lasts longer, or else I doubt I'll get another iPod. Find something with a replaceable battery...

Regarding my 5.5G, overall I like it MUCH more than my 3G. Stuff I like:

-they switched from an all touch interface that I abhor to a hybrid physical/touch interface, where you're not accidentally skipping to the end of a file all the time. I don't even put my 5.5G on hold ever, because I don't need to.

-It can remember it's position in a file. I mostly use my iPod for podcasts, so I used to have to write down where I was in a file, and then manually get back to it after I unplugged my 'Pod from my computer.

-Obviously the screen and physical size are just incredible compared to the 3G. I used to think my 3G was small, but my 5.5G is tiny in comparison. I had it on top of a chocolate bar (Endangered Species chocolate company-AWESOMELY yummy :) ), and it's about the same thickness but smaller in every other dimension :D
  3. killmoms macrumors 68040

Jun 23, 2003
    Washington, DC
    I actually put a $25 battery in my 3rd gen a few weeks ago, from NewerTech. Took maybe 15 minutes total—hardest part was getting the back cover off, and that wasn't even really THAT hard. It's like it's brand new. I didn't want to spend $350 on an 80GB 5.5gen I'd be unsatisfied with (too small for video viewing, and the writing is on the wall for a 6th gen iPhone-like iPod). Plus it seems to me that the newer iPods are WAY less reliable than the older ones. Every time I turn around some friend is having technical trouble with one, where my 3rd gen has been solid gold for three and a half years. I'll stick with Old Faithful, thanks.

I'd say just get a new battery if what you really want in a new iPod is a widescreen (perhaps multi-touch interface) one. It'll come eventually, and until it does, a new battery will make your 3rd gen feel like a whole new beast. :)
  4. Wolfpup macrumors 68030

Sep 7, 2006
    I can vouch for the 5.5G's reliability. I've dropped it just as often as I dropped my 3G, and it works great. I know quite a few people with them, and they've had no problems either.
  5. Ben1l thread starter macrumors regular

Nov 30, 2006
    Yeh Its the battery life. Ridiculously short at the moment, but strangely it tends to vary even though I charge it for 3 or 4 hours at a time.

I love the idea of a 6G iPod, and it just seams so logical that it will look identical to iPhone but instead of all the receivers and transmitters and all that stuff it will be packed with memory. I would consider an iPhone, but I know I will use the video function a lot and 4 or even 8 gig isn't nearly enough, so that’s putting me off the idea.

Also Apple always seems to price their stuff quite reasonable but I think their figures for iPhone are way off!
  6. Wolfpup macrumors 68030

Sep 7, 2006
    I pretty much disagree with the pricing thing...seems like they're usually always overpriced, with some exceptions here and there.

It doesn't seem to be completely clear about whether the iPhone is getting subsidized, and whether the announced price is with or without a subsidy. I don't know... The $200/4GB Nano has a high mark up, but one that most people seem to think is reasonable. So add on $300 for:

-wifi radio and antennas
    -GSM radio and antenna
    -much larger screen
    -a CPU that's probably at least 2-3 times faster
    -a larger battery

aaaand...I have no idea. Is that extra stuff worth an extra $300?

I do know phones in general get marked up crazily in this country. When you look at "smartphones", they tend to be hundreds more than an equivalent phone + PDA would be, yet are usually lower end than both (or at least they were, back when there was a strong PDA market).
    The phone market in general seems to have crazy mark ups, which is probably why everyone's so keen on entering it.
  7. Ben1l thread starter macrumors regular

Nov 30, 2006
    Heres the thing about the Pricing Here in the U.K. We usually have to pay way more than you guys for apple products, even if we buy them from the apple store. For exapme a 80g Ipod Video here costs £259 which i think is $510!!!