iPod video bitrate

Discussion in 'iPod' started by andrewheard, Oct 13, 2005.

1. andrewheard macrumors regular

Hi,

I read somewhere on the forums that the videos from apple are about 300mb per hour. I tried ripping a 20 minute family guy video from my dvds and it was 800mb. I must have set my bitrates wrong. What should the bitrate for video and audio be set at?

Thanks in advance,

Andrew

2. rendezvouscp macrumors 68000

If you export a video using QuickTime Pro and choose the Movie to iPod option, then you'll get an h.264 and aac encoded .m4v file that runs at 700kbits/sec altogether, with 128 kbits/sec for the audio (you do the math for the video portion ;)). If you have QT7 Pro, the whole process is very easy.
    -Chase

3. andrewheard thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you very much. I'm not using Quicktime Pro so it wasn't as easy as choosing iPod from the export list. I was using HandBrake and its pretty to use if you know what bitrate to put in. I might also try setting a target size and see how that works out.

Thanks again.

4. rendezvouscp macrumors 68000

I should've realized that if you're ripping something from Family Guy, it's probably on DVD: doy! Anyway, Handbrake's great to use and the iPod can probably play higher bitrates if they're in the general range, but I don't know. Either way, enjoy your iPod and please post about what you ended up doing.
    -Chase