IPod video Freezes

Discussion in 'iPod' started by malibu73, Nov 12, 2005.

1. malibu73 macrumors newbie

I got my ipod yesterday plugged it in with out putting the "install before connecting ipod" CD Everything seemed to work fine, it froze once, but today it just froze mid song and i had to do the select menu reset thing. After it cam back on it would work again for a few mins then lock up again. I restored the iPod to factory setting and 10 mins latter it froze again. Now every time i reset it it will freeze again. I don't know what to do about it now. Im going to call apple tomorrow, but i figure im going to have to send it back to get a replacement. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. kainjow Moderator emeritus

kainjow

Does it freeze at different times? Or at the same music/video? Are you using the latest iPod Updater?

3. malibu73 thread starter macrumors newbie

It will freeze at different times. It has frozen 2 mins after I had to reset it from the last time it froze. It also freezes while playning songs. The screen will freeze, none of the buttons will work, but the song will keep playing. When the songs over it just stops and i have to reset it again. I think i got a bad ipod but im hoping i can fix it some how with out having to send it back in. Any Help GUys

4. john159 macrumors regular

yeh mine freeze sometimes... like i will click to play an episode of lost, and it will take like 5 to 10 seconds for it to come out and actually play video footage... but i have never had to reset it... how long is it inactive for.. becuase it is a new product and i will freeze until later software updaters come out... i reaed this here and this did actaully help speed up selectign songs and videos.

http://www.tuaw.com/2005/10/22/fix-for-sluggish-5g-ipod-interface/

5. biggi macrumors newbie

Frozen solid

Hey gang

I just received a black, 30gb video iPod 2 hours ago. Installed the software on my G5 computer and my IBM laptop. Everything was working fine between the G5 and the iPod but when i connected it to my PC (where most of my media files are stored) it completely froze on me. Now i can´t reset using any of the reccomendations from apple (hold down center button, lock and then unlock, reconnect the iPod to the computer). The wheel doesn´t work and the light is now constantly on.

This happened right after i tried connecting my iPod to the PC computer, which only has standard USB but not USB 2.0. So i´m guessing that must be the reason for these problems.

However, since i can´t reset, what the hell do i do to make my iPod function again?
    Any suggestions ?

6. JDOG_ macrumors 6502a

JDOG_

This happened to my coworker last week and he ended up taking it into the Apple store to get looked at. They ended up just swapping it out for a new one. Once it's powered down you'll probably be able to reset it, but there's no reason you shouldn't be able to do a hard reset yourself...that's where its a problem b/c you can't.
    :confused:

7. biggi macrumors newbie

Thanks for the quick reply, but you see, i live on a small island in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean, so it´s not like i can just go down to the corner Apple store and have it replaced in a jiff. I´ll probably have to send it to the States and then probably wait a couple of months to get it back. :mad:

Thanks anyway, man.

8. cubasz macrumors newbie

Did You try pressing middle and menu buttons at the same time for six seconds? iIt worked fine for me. I\ve had same problem after connecting to an old PC. Hope this helps on Your tiny island.
    Bye.

9. JDOG_ macrumors 6502a

JDOG_

What like the U.K.? Apple has help branches out in your neck of the woods as well my friend. You're entitled to free help since this is your first (and hopefully only) problematic instance with this iPod. Read about your complimentary support rights here.

According to the UK Apple site:

"Technical Support Options
    To get technical support over the phone, please call 0870 876 0753 (UK) or 1850 946 191 (Ireland). Lines are open Monday-Friday 0800-2000 and Saturday 1000-1800. If your product is within its 90-day complimentary support period or covered by an AppleCare Protection Plan, you will not have to pay for the support. Otherwise, you may purchase per-incident support for £35 (UK) or €47.19 (Ireland)."

Good luck :)