Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

amholl

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 21, 2004
Boston
If i have an mpeg on my hardrive, it wont go on my iPod. How do i format/convert it so it will work. Can you do it via Hand Brake? or MTR? THX.
-amholl

drater

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2005
The bowels of CT
kainjow said:
If it's mpeg muxed, QT won't export audio correctly. Use a program like Podner
how fast is this? if i'm going to pay, i wanna know...also, I use mpeg streamclip...works pretty fast. just open the file, export to mpeg-4 format, click the ipod button, then ok, and you're good to go. Takes a little while depending on the size of the file, but all around faster than quicktime pro.

kainjow

Moderator emeritus
Jun 15, 2000
Podner worked very fast for me. Try it out for yourself, you can use it without restrictions on up to 2.5 minutes (I think) of a movie.

kainjow

Moderator emeritus
Jun 15, 2000
MacTruck said:
That podner looks pretty cool. So it will convert an mpeg with the sound mixed to a playable ipod mpeg with sound?
Sure will, at least with what I tested.

AJ Muni

macrumors 65816
Aug 4, 2005
Miami
Your solution....

very simple..... http://homepage.mac.com/major4/
i've converted mpg,mpeg2,avi,wmv,asf ....all types of files with that program...its great and FROM WHAT I HEAR, most people with video ipods (including my self) use it....

p.s. make sure u follow the instructions on how to install it...could be a lil confusing...

maddav

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2004
Manchester, UK
AJ Muni said:
very simple..... http://homepage.mac.com/major4/
i've converted mpg,mpeg2,avi,wmv,asf ....all types of files with that program...its great and FROM WHAT I HEAR, most people with video ipods (including my self) use it....

p.s. make sure u follow the instructions on how to install it...could be a lil confusing...

Once you get it started ffmpegx is a wonderful 'swiss army knife' of a tool, it's good for most videos & formats that you chuck at it.

For the iPod w/Video, drag your video into the "drop file here'" box, I suggest using the "PSP" default and then:

- Video tab, don't change the Codec, change the bitrate to what you want, I use 500kbps, but I think it goes up to either 768kbps, or 2.5Mbps, make sure the aspect ratio is (for 4:3 - fullscreen vids) 320 x 240, I'm not sure about the max. ratios the iPod w/Vid accepts. Make sure the framerate is the same as the original (unless you want to mess around with that!!)

- Audio tab, Audio codec will be AAC don't change that, change bitrate from 32 (ugh) to anything above 128 for decent audio (192 = max?). Set sampling rate at 44100 Hz or 48000 Hz

- Filters, the only think I would change here, is thhe crop, if you have horrible black borders and want rid, though you will have to re-adjust the aspect ratio after doing this.

- Options, Check 'High quality', 'Use B Frames' and 'Two-Pass encoding' for really good quality. Go back to the summary tab, and check to see if everything looks good.

Works every time :D

Barham

macrumors regular
Feb 5, 2004
Hi

I can not for the life of me get ffx to do anything at all. I follow the instructions to the letter and have tried multiple times. It doesn't work with any kind of file that I throw at it.

Has anyone had this problem?

Any suggestions?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.