iPod video fromat questions

Discussion in 'iPod' started by amholl, Nov 12, 2005.

1. amholl macrumors 6502

If i have an mpeg on my hardrive, it wont go on my iPod. How do i format/convert it so it will work. Can you do it via Hand Brake? or MTR? THX.
    -amholl

2. kainjow Moderator emeritus

kainjow

If it's mpeg muxed, QT won't export audio correctly. Use a program like Podner

3. MacTruck macrumors 65816

MacTruck

There are alot of programs now that convert to PSP. That will work on an ipod.

4. drater macrumors 6502a

drater

how fast is this? if i'm going to pay, i wanna know...also, I use mpeg streamclip...works pretty fast. just open the file, export to mpeg-4 format, click the ipod button, then ok, and you're good to go. Takes a little while depending on the size of the file, but all around faster than quicktime pro.

5. kainjow Moderator emeritus

kainjow

Podner worked very fast for me. Try it out for yourself, you can use it without restrictions on up to 2.5 minutes (I think) of a movie.

6. MacTruck macrumors 65816

MacTruck

That podner looks pretty cool. So it will convert an mpeg with the sound mixed to a playable ipod mpeg with sound?

7. kainjow Moderator emeritus

kainjow

Sure will, at least with what I tested.

8. AJ Muni macrumors 65816

AJ Muni

Your solution....

very simple..... http://homepage.mac.com/major4/
    i've converted mpg,mpeg2,avi,wmv,asf ....all types of files with that program...its great and FROM WHAT I HEAR, most people with video ipods (including my self) use it....

p.s. make sure u follow the instructions on how to install it...could be a lil confusing...

9. maddav macrumors 6502

maddav

Once you get it started ffmpegx is a wonderful 'swiss army knife' of a tool, it's good for most videos & formats that you chuck at it.

For the iPod w/Video, drag your video into the "drop file here'" box, I suggest using the "PSP" default and then:

- Video tab, don't change the Codec, change the bitrate to what you want, I use 500kbps, but I think it goes up to either 768kbps, or 2.5Mbps, make sure the aspect ratio is (for 4:3 - fullscreen vids) 320 x 240, I'm not sure about the max. ratios the iPod w/Vid accepts. Make sure the framerate is the same as the original (unless you want to mess around with that!!)

- Audio tab, Audio codec will be AAC don't change that, change bitrate from 32 (ugh) to anything above 128 for decent audio (192 = max?). Set sampling rate at 44100 Hz or 48000 Hz

- Filters, the only think I would change here, is thhe crop, if you have horrible black borders and want rid, though you will have to re-adjust the aspect ratio after doing this.

- Options, Check 'High quality', 'Use B Frames' and 'Two-Pass encoding' for really good quality. Go back to the summary tab, and check to see if everything looks good.

Works every time :D

10. amholl thread starter macrumors 6502

11. AJ Muni macrumors 65816

AJ Muni

12. Barham macrumors regular

Hi

I can not for the life of me get ffx to do anything at all. I follow the instructions to the letter and have tried multiple times. It doesn't work with any kind of file that I throw at it.

Has anyone had this problem?

Any suggestions?

13. Elrond39 macrumors 6502